1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pairing Philips 32F9986 with MCE2005

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by scrowe, Mar 8, 2005.

1. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Hi All,

A question for those who have connected a PC to the well-loved 9986 via DVI

My dear old mother has decided to do away with those horrible boxes and has decided she wants a single Media Center box and a flat screen TV. I've recommended an LCD TV over a monitor so that the ability to watch telly is not dependent on the PC as a single point of failure.

I've just setup in my own house her MCE2005 box from Mesh Computers to configure and test, and it works brilliantly on my Pio505XDE Plasma.

Unfortunately, to find a 32" LCD TV that is available to pair with it is currently very difficult. However, she has decided she likes the Philips 32F9986, which I believe is overpriced, despite being the best around according to respected opinion on these forums. However, she is happy to pay out for the one she wants so job done.

It's also clear from the mammoth appreciation thread that it will support a direct DVI connection from the GeoforceFX5700LE card in the MCE2005 box, albeit possible small black bars due to the resolution mismatch. So my only question is audio. An advantage of the Philips is that it has very good built in sound, so will it support line-out from the onboard Nvidia soundcard into the TV, paired with the DVI Video?

I'm obviously worried that it's audio inputs are statically mapped to the AV connections only.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Philips has got line level audio inputs. These are normally used as inputs to enable the TV to perform as a 5.1 centre channel speaker.

Jimmy

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would not call the Philips sound one of its strong points, quite the contrary, it uses NXT technology which is bass shy and don't go that loud without starting to show their limitations.

The Sharp G series, omitting the GA5, have good audio and DVI-I input and will give would allow a higher resolution than the Philips - native at 60Hz so no black bars. Another display possibly to look at is the Loewe Xelos. The SL version has DVI input allowing full screen like the Sharp, but also has two coax digital audio inputs that can be assigned to any input. An optional upgrade also allows 5.1 DD input decoding if that ever takes your mothers fancy. It also has a radio mode that allows any input to be listened to without the screen. Sound quality is very good. However the SL version would certainly not be available as discounted as the 9986 although I believe that the RRP is much the same. But Loewe have also introduced a cut down version called the 'A' series which should be much cheaper so it may be worth checking those out to see whether the digital audio input still exists - HDMI has replaced the SL DVI-I connector and there is no external media box so it is not so upgradable as the SL.

-Ian

4. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Unfortunately, the Sharps are not a consideration, as they are not available and the G5 has no DVI input. The Loewe is way too expensive, she's already going to have to pay circa £2,000 for the Philips above £1300 for her original
    Toshiba choice.

The Toshiba is unavailable still for another 4 weeks, and she doesn't like the Samsung 32" LCD or the Hitachi 32" plasma. No other LCD's in the sub- £2,000 price point support PC input via DVI it seems, so it's the 9976 or 9986 as the only real choice at the moment.

Great sound is not particularly important, she only watches TV from normal L&R speakers at the moment, not surround or anything. The only issue was whether to buy PC speakers from the media center or feed sound into the TV, and I think into the Tv is a neater option to start with.