Pairing a Pioneer NK-50 music streamer with Pioneer VXS-LX55 receiver

LarryWinger

Novice Member
Hi, hoping these older pieces of kit are still fascinating to forum participants, but apologies if this thread is not useful.

I've been delighted with our VSX-LX55 beast of a receiver since purchasing it on eBay several years ago. I eventually found a Pioneer wireless LAN converter AS-WL300 to access music via Airplay from iPhone or MacBookPro, but the lovely little device has given up. They're not widely available anymore, but there is a one on eBay associated with a Pioneer music streamer NK-50, seeking £350. I'm tempted, but I can't help thinking: what will the NK-50 provide that the VXS-LX55 doesn't have, apart from LED display of album covers. The digital coaxial or optical audio output from the NK-50 would find an input on the LX55, so I might hope the sound reproduction would be that much better, but £300 better? On the whole, I'd really just love to find a functioning AS-WL300 (should be circa £50 if I could find one) but if I could be persuaded that my life will be that much enhanced by acquiring the music streamer . . . hmmm. I know these items are about a decade old, and technology marches on, but I've got a turntable and a cassette player, and even a videotape player connected into the VXS-LX55, mostly for sentimental reasons. It really was a beast of a receiver in its time, with so many inputs. Even without the AS-WL300, it's an internet receiver for radio, but not Spotify or AppleMusic. I don't think the NK-50 offers any particular advantage in terms of platform connectivity, just maybe better sound quality/management?

The other extenuating thing about the AS-WL300 I believe is that only AirPlay1 is supposed to work, but my ageing iPhone SE (?iPhone 5 I think?) did work through this converter. As it is, I can play music from the iPhone via the USB input on the front of the VXS-LX55, so AirPlay is pretty redundant, really, but I like the idea of the old equipment still working. Gives me hope for myself :).

Thanks for any comments, and especially for any pointers to a functioning AS-WL300!

andyb15

Standard Member
I've bought and repaired a few Pioneer AV receivers recently; VSX-2021, VSX-LX55, SC-LX56 and SC-LX86. Along the way I acquired several AS-WL300 wireless adapters. One didn't work, one was intermittent at best and one worked for a short time. Eventually they all failed completely after not a lot of use. I can't recommend using or buying another AS-WL300 based on my experience as they don't seem to be very good.

I bought one of the later Pioneer AXF-7031 wireless adapters and so far this is much better and gives a far more reliable connection. It works fine with all the models listed above too. I also tried a generic China made USB wireless adapter from eBay, which was under £10 and this works well too. If your receiver is close enough to run a CAT5 cable I would do that though as it gives a more reliable connection and far less delay at switch on.

LarryWinger

Novice Member
Hi back Andy . . . that's great advice, thank you! I've found and just bought an AXF7031 so will hope it works well. Taking on board your experience with the ASL-WL300 and mine (there was no reason for the one I had to suddenly stop working, that I could see -- the 3 LEDs just do not illuminate). I'll try to update here my experience with the newer model when I receive it.

andyb15

Standard Member
Hi back Andy . . . that's great advice, thank you! I've found and just bought an AXF7031 so will hope it works well. Taking on board your experience with the ASL-WL300 and mine (there was no reason for the one I had to suddenly stop working, that I could see -- the 3 LEDs just do not illuminate). I'll try to update here my experience with the newer model when I receive it.
That's exactly how my ones went. All 3 LEDs went out and I couldn't access the web interface to set it up. I tried the reset button a few times but once they fail, that seems to be it. The AXF-7031 seems to be a much better product.

The China made one I bought was the same as this:

It works just as well with all my receivers with the added bonus of being about a third of the price of the Pioneer ones that pop up on eBay.

LarryWinger

Novice Member
That's exactly how my ones went. All 3 LEDs went out and I couldn't access the web interface to set it up. I tried the reset button a few times but once they fail, that seems to be it. The AXF-7031 seems to be a much better product.

The China made one I bought was the same as this:

It works just as well with all my receivers with the added bonus of being about a third of the price of the Pioneer ones that pop up on eBay.
Thanks to your suggestion, Andy, I have successfully installed the AXF-7031 with my VSX-LX55 receiver and it's working very nicely from my old iPhone. Delighted!

As a fallback, in case the used AXF didn't work, I bought the Chinese one, but it's not here yet to test. But I'm very pleased, and wanted to let you know of this successful install. Great advice, so grateful.

Many thanks,
Larry

andyb15

Standard Member
Thanks to your suggestion, Andy, I have successfully installed the AXF-7031 with my VSX-LX55 receiver and it's working very nicely from my old iPhone. Delighted!

As a fallback, in case the used AXF didn't work, I bought the Chinese one, but it's not here yet to test. But I'm very pleased, and wanted to let you know of this successful install. Great advice, so grateful.

Many thanks,
Larry
Hi Larry

Glad to hear the good news. I've got two of the AXF adapters and they do seen to work much better than the older one. I had trouble getting the other type to stay connected to my Asus router and had to switch to a Netgear one. The AXF is OK with both.

The Chinese generic ones are pretty good too but I do find they need a reboot every now and then if the signal drops out.

Cheers
Andy

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom