1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pair of speakers for £200 max please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rob3, Nov 4, 2003.

1. rob3

rob3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I'm on a real budget for my new setup although don't want to go for one of these 'cube systems' as from listening to a few they all seem very 'listening through treakle' kind of sound!

I want a surround system eventually but also want decent speakers so I'm going to by a decoder and stereo speakers first then add more later!

Ive been looking around and the Wharfedale Diamond 8.3's look good @ £150 ish...Comments?
    Any other suggestions...again looking to buy a pair of front speakers for tops of £200 if i can! Thanks

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Rob
    Have a look at monitor audio bronze b2 bookshelfs good quality and can be had for less than 200 quid if you shop around.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What do you guys think to Eltax Monitor Audio III's?

Rob here is a friend of mine who wants this system in his bedroom, so we're not talking a big living room to fill here. Anyway he wants good all rounders for both music and movies and is currently thinking of getting a Denon 1603.

I've offered him a full 5 channel Eltax bookshelf speaker set for less than the £150 he wants to spend on the Warfdales.

I'm not really sure myself but maybe you could make up his mind whether to get mine or not, I need him to decide so I can put them on eBay if he doesn't want them! :D

4. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    well Rob, my Wharfedale Diamond Cinema 3 set arrives tomorrow, so I will give you by thoughts on the 8.3s if you haven't bought anything by that time. Although if you do a search on wharfedale diamond on these forums then you will find pretty much 100% positive reviews for them.

Cheers

5. rob3

rob3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Diamond Cinema 3 set....what does that contain? And how much has that set you back??

Thanks for the advice so far!!

6. rob3

rob3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For Rear Surrounds do i need Rear surround speakers? or can i use something like the Wharfedale Diamond 8.1's?

7. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Diamond package consists of Diamond 8.3 floor standing fronts, Diamond centre, and 8.1s for the rear channel duties.

£269 for the lot from QED :)
    (a steal if you can stretch an extra £69!!)

can't fookin wait! I heard some Wharfedale Rubiance speakers (very similar) the week before I ordered them and fell in love with the Wharfedale "sound" that coupled with all the good reviews and the reat price sealed it.

Will let you know my thoughts tomorrow. If you need pics then check them out at www.superfi.co.uk and try this review http://www.area450.com/homecinema/speakers.htm

cheers