Pair of bookshelves or sattelites?

magneticblue

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to be joining the world of atmos shortly with the purchase of a new receiver. I currently have a Yamaha rxv371 receiver with tannoy sfx 5.1 speakers. My idea is to keep the speakers I currently have and buy an additional pair. I can't decide if I should buy some second hand sfx sattelites or some new bookshelf/floorstanding speakers. Ceiling speakers are out of the question as the wife would never allow them!

Option 1 is to buy a pair of bookshelf/floorstanding speakers and use these as the front channels and then use the sfx speakers this frees up for the height channels. My problem here is that I have no idea how to make sure the new speakers match my current ones sonically. This is a more expensive route but may have better sound? I have a budget of £200 for the speaker pair. Any suggestions of which speakers to choose would also be appreciated.

Option 2 Buy another set of second hand sfx speakers from ebay and use two of those for my height channels as they will be a perfect match for my current speakers.

Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly accepted.

Thanks in advance :)

Option 1 will need you to purchase a matching centre speaker especially if you are seriously thinking of floorstanders which are a world away from the Tannoys.

If you are happy with the sound you are getting from the Tannoys then getting another pair makes sense. However, where do you intend to place these speakers for Atmos duties?

Thanks for that input.

I was thinking up in the rear corners of the room. This would place them the same width away as my rear surrounds and slightly behind my head. I would have to modify/bodge the brackets to angle them downwards.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom