Painting

Reaction score
Ive done quite alot of painting in the past. I dont mind it but seen something that mite make it a bit easier as Ive alot of paiting to do around the house.

Its the dulux paintpod, Ive never heard of these, can anyone comment on them.

Personally i'd advise you to avoid it at all costs...

I got one from B&Q thought it would be a great way of doing my room when I was redecorating!

I got it home to my room where i'd filled the holes with polyfilla and sanded them all down perfectly lots of work on the wall prep... furniture of the room emptied (thank god) and I get the Paint Pod ready to fire up.
I followed the instructions perfectly filling it with the silly little cup thing...

Turn it on and WOOSH out comes a load of paint even though im not pressing the trigger, luckily this was my old carpet. So I figured it was faulty, I take it back, get a replacement...

Follow the instructions again and WOOSH a repeat of the first one... "WHAT THE :censored:"

This time I made sure it blasted its load all over the wall.

Get some paint pads, nice quick easy job with them.
The PaintPod is just an absolute shambles, messy, noisy, doesn't work as you want it to and just too much hard work.

Shoulda known it'd fail after the stupid fence sprayer thing my Dad got... but noooo I didn't think.

i like the foam pads about a fiver and u can bin them when done, i cut in and do the edges with a brush.

It's kinda funny looking back, but at the time I was close to throwing it out the window in anger.

Something like this is much better:

Stanley DIY Paint Pad Set 4 29 905 - STA429905 - Paint Pads - Stanley - DIY and Tools from DIYTools.co.uk - Your First Stop For All Things DIY !

Paint pads, better than brushes and rollers for large ares, small brushes for precision on corners and such.

A lot cheaper, and probably quicker and easier, unless I was missing something obvious with the paintpod (some hidden message in the instructions or something) :D

Would you cut in with the small paint pad.

they work very well on large areas and very fast with no roller splatter, but u cant overload the pad which is easy to do on the little ones which is why i used a brush

One thing I wouldnt do, I dont mind paying for something that is beyond me. Painting is easy, very do-able, but its just so boring...

Dont be an idiot mate, thats like an electrician paying someone to wire their house.

If you can do it yourself, then you should....

thanks mate :)

not really though, there's lots of things that i can do but that are boring...so choose not to.

Decided on brown/cream colour scheme. Its a rectangular and was thinking 2 walls brown, 2 walls cream. Friend has said no way, it will look like a tunnel.

I cant see that, any suggestions.

Decided on brown/cream colour scheme. Its a rectangular and was thinking 2 walls brown, 2 walls cream. Friend has said no way, it will look like a tunnel.

I cant see that, any suggestions.

I have creamy walls with a brown feature wall - the one my TV goes against, it looks great.

I wouldn't do 2 walls as a feature, pick you main wall and have that as your feature wall, use the darker colour to draw attention to it.

But the colour scheme does look fine :smashin:

Well I started the painting and have all three cream walls done, just have to do the brown wall and maybe a second coat on the cream walls.

Now when Im cutting in on the brown wall is there any way I can stop the brown going on the cream. I was going to use masking tape but was told it would take the paintwork off.

Is there any safe way....

Well I started the painting and have all three cream walls done, just have to do the brown wall and maybe a second coat on the cream walls.

Now when Im cutting in on the brown wall is there any way I can stop the brown going on the cream. I was going to use masking tape but was told it would take the paintwork off.

Is there any safe way....

Masking tape can be used if the paint has dried and hardened (sometimes its dry to touch but hasn't fully hardened and bonded to the wall, so be careful) you can also get masking tape which isnt as sticky as others, i used some blue scotch masking tape there was some tape (not sure which) that isnt as stick as others, the guy in the shop said it was the best to use so i got that, and if you have doubts about peeling to get under the tape with a knife and peel at 45 degrees slowly.

Tape is the easiest and safest way to do it, providing you do it properly, unless you're condfident of not going over without using a small brush carefully.

A touch late, but here's my 2 peneth worth having done our new place 14 months ago with advice from a professional.

1. If you can buy it in B & Q/Homebase it's probably crap! Eg. PaintPods, corner guides, cheap roller heads etc...
2. Always buy trade paints as they are better quality than the consumer versions (more coverage and less spray)
3. Buy a good set of rollers/brushes
4. Cut in by hand with a 'cutting in' brush anything else and you'll get splodges and over painting etc...

I hit Brewers and dropped a few quid on some Albany roller heads/frames and some Purdy brushes including an angled/tapered 'cutting brush'.

As long as you wash/dry the brushes/roller heads properly they'll last a good while and if you're doing gloss-work then the BrushSaver things are brilliant. They have a chemical pad that keeps the brushes 'live' for months so you can simply pop them into the box and take them out the next day with out any cleaning etc...

Once you're all finished a good brush cleaning solution works a treat in getting the brushes clean and ready for storage!

Thanks for the advice. I found out what to use, its low tack masking tape so going to get some tomorrow. It is safe for walls and does not take paintwork off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom