Painting/wrapping Monitor Audio oak speakers, any reason why not?

MT1

Hi All, I've got some Monitor Audio RS6 and RS Centre in Light Oak ( or Natural Oak? ) . I'm looking at building a false wall/mantelpiece to hold my TV, Fireplace and centre speaker. I'm finding the oak speakers are causing issues with the design so I was going to sell and swap for something black or white but then thought why not just paint them whatever colour I want.
So I googled/searched Avforums but I can hardly find any examples of people doing this to branded speakers, only homemade ones, I'm now nervous that there is some reason for this.
I also came across wrapping, as in the vinyl that they put over cars. Has anyone got any experience of this?

Ftorek

If wrapping - check out something that's called 3M Di-Noc Architectural Films. I've used them before (albeit not for spearkers wrap) and you can get very nice finish (these are textured films so you can get not only the colour but also texture/feel of wood or concrete or whatnot). If wrapping though - you won't be able to do it in one piece. These speakers are quite 'boxy' and the edge/turn is quite sharp - you'll need to split the wrap it there and possibly do overlaps (depending on how different the colour change to be).

You can possibly get un-branded vinyl of similar feel/performance like the 3M (i think from memory they were first to introduce these and then others followed with myriad of similar films available)

I do occasionally wrap vans and cars (and other weird things) as a signmaker so if you do go this route - ask away :)

Another thought - if wrapping - see if it's possible to strip the cabinets from all the elements so that you can get with the wrap 'under' them as far as possible - and then re-fit the bits back over.

Cheers and good luck
f.

MT1

I like the look of that film. Some good instructional videos too . I think I might attempt that. Thanks :)

MT1

..and now I'm thinking of all the other stuff in my house that I can wrap! I think I just got a new hobby.

Ftorek

:D ... i've finished last night at 2am in the workshop actually wrapping rear end on a van... i don't think i'd want to be wrapping anything else around.... in my house... ever.... :D

(it's pandemic working hours though - normally i do more work during the day but with kids around and missus in the office i usually go out in the evenings :)

f.

password1

Distinguished Member
The reason I wouldn't paint speakers is that they'll be a lot more difficult to sell if you decide to sell in the future without losing value. Wrapping on the other hand can be reversible.

Graham27

Curious about this as well, as my speakers matched the furniture in our last place but not in this one.

It just so happens I have MA RS6 in light oak too!

I‘m not keen on wrapping because they’re a nicely finished wood veneer which I like. Just the wrong colour.

dante01

Distinguished Member
..and now I'm thinking of all the other stuff in my house that I can wrap! I think I just got a new hobby.

by default 2021-03-07 at 23.53.09.png

Is this one of yours?

password1

Distinguished Member
This thread might be useful...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom