Painting window above extension

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Exterior windows badly need painting, first time in this house.
Our kitchen 'juts out' a bit from the house, with a sloping tile roof above it.
And there is one bedroom window above that.:rolleyes:
How would you go about painting this window?
It doesn't turn around so it can be painted from the inside, it's going to have to be done externally.
I wouldn't have thought standing on the lead flashing/roof tiles was wise, yet hiring some sort of fancy ladder or, worse, scaffolding is a bit daunting.:confused:

Shared

I suppose it depends how far it juts out, what the pitch of the roof is, and how daring you are, If the roof tiles are pan tiles, about 16" x 13" then only every 3rd course and the perimeters may be fixed, which mean you could slide a few up to expose some tiles and remove them, then stand on the lath where it meets the joists, alternatively if space allows you can hire a tower that covers twice the height needed and then erect half each side of the extension with a youngrman spanning the roof between the towers. you can also hire cantilevered towers, much depends on how much the kitchen protrudes, there's also the option of just hiring a ladder and pegging it into the ground, its not like you'd have to keep moving it unless the window is about 6 feet wide.

IronGiant

Exterior windows badly need painting, first time in this house.
Our kitchen 'juts out' a bit from the house, with a sloping tile roof above it.
And there is one bedroom window above that.:rolleyes:
How would you go about painting this window?
It doesn't turn around so it can be painted from the inside, it's going to have to be done externally.
I wouldn't have thought standing on the lead flashing/roof tiles was wise, yet hiring some sort of fancy ladder or, worse, scaffolding is a bit daunting.:confused:

A picture may help if you've got one handy. It depends a lot on the slope and what the tiles are.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
there's also the option of just hiring a ladder and pegging it into the ground, its not like you'd have to keep moving it unless the window is about 6 feet wide.

Do you mean hiring a really long ladder and putting it at more of a shallow angle, so it's sitting above the extension roof?

FZR400RRSP

Banned
A picture may help if you've got one handy. It depends a lot on the slope and what the tiles are.

I'll take one tonight.
The kitchen 'extension' only juts out around 6 feet.
The slope is quite steep, the tiles are red horizontal 'S' shaped things.

I use the word extension only as a good way of describing it, it was part of the original build.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
My Dad hired a ladder from HSS, it sure as heck looks like this one:

HSS Hire - Conservatory Roof Access System Hire and Rent

He replaced some flashing and a couple of slates, on the drying room/kitchen roof, and much to his chagrin, my Mum insisted he paint the bathroom window frame/sill too, and clean the guttering above the kitchen. :rotfl:

The bathroom window involved was tiny, so he just painted it "through" the ladder rungs, with it sloped and leaning against the roof.

I just stood at the bottom like a pleb in the freezing cold, catching dirt and debris on my head. :mad: :rotfl:

EDIT: Parents roof isn't like the one pictured, I'm sure at one point it was an outhouse, but they changed it into a laundry room, and extended the kitchen, so it must stick out about 6-8 feet from the house, with a steep slated roof.

Last edited:

IronGiant

From the description so far, I'd imagine that would be perfect.

IronGiant

Well, if you lived in Abingdon instead of Aberdeen I'd offer to give you a hand :smashin:

tokwitney

To gain access to the window safely you really should have a scaffold erected by a professional, fully insured company. You could hire a tower scaffold yourself, but I'm guessing that you don't have the necessary experience to erect it correctly and safely.
A lot of painters may do this sort of job off a ladder, but the working at height regulations would say you need a proper platform to work off.
Not sure where you are, but if anywhere near West Oxon I would be happy to give you a price for scaffolding it.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I agree, but a little daunting for a DIY-phobe such as myself.:rolleyes:

My Dad is 71, and has an artificial knee.:laugh:
Granted he had me at the bottom of the ladder to catch the leaves, and whatnot with my head/clothes, but no issues at all, apart from me not being allowed back in the house, and having to eat my lunch whilst sat on the garden bench.:laugh:

Shared

Do you mean hiring a really long ladder and putting it at more of a shallow angle, so it's sitting above the extension roof?

Yeah, If you have the space and suitable ground, slabs, block paving etc you might be able to secure a piece of 3" x 2" with a couple of old chisels or similar driven into the joints behind the the 3" x 2" to prevent it from from moving and brace the foot of the ladder against that, its a bit Heath Robinson but can be made quite stable, especially if the roof is a steeper pitch.

The link that Rotten Fox provided is also a great solution and shouldn't be to expensive, and often the guys delivering it will show you how it works if you ask them but in reality its pretty obvious once you have it in front of you

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom