1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting the stand

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Quartz, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Quartz

Quartz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I love my Panasonic PW6. Unfortunately I blew mu budget on the plasma and had to settle for a cheap stand. The Panny is black but the stand is battleship grey. So I want to paint the stand black to match the display. This would not be a problem if (a) I knew the exact colour and (b) were not alone - I'd simply dismount the display and spraypaint the stand. But I'm alone so cannot dismount the display which means lots of masking tape and being very careful with a paintbrush.

So, what exact colour do I need? And any tips on the painting?

2. mattytinter

mattytinter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    go to your local brown brothers or another local car paint (bodyshop) distributor, they got a selection of colours called RAL colours, they got approx, 40 shades of black 40 shades of grey , pick an appropriate one, and they will mix it and put it in an areosol for you, lightly key up the stand with a fine grade of wetndry, mask up and apply light coats, waiting 10 mins between coats.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    40 shades of black? Clearly I've been missing something... :D

4. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did that, I was alone, but not even in a million years I'd spraypaint a plasma.
    Anyway, once you figure out how to dismount the stand from the plasma just use a simple B&Q black spray. If you want a real good black then pre-paint the stand with a pure white color, then spraypaint in black.