Painting over hairlined cracked plaster

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

this may sound like a silly question to some, but as Im unsure thought Id ask anyway.

Although Im not sure if it goes the whole way around our living room, it appears the plaster in our living room has hairline cracks through it. Now there are no signs of any chucks or anything missing, so I was wondering if there was a way I can still paint and get a nice finish without the big cost of a whole re-plaster (or even skimming i think would be out of our price range at this stage), now I know the results may not be long term, but something to at least last us 6 months or so would be fine. Now I've tried to do some research on the internet and it sounds like thicker undercoats do the trick, and I appreciate plenty of sanding may be involved between layers, but wondered if anyone has any experience or thoughts on this?

This is a section of the wall in question so you can get the idea...
103299d1231236354-grangeys-slightly-different-floating-thread-img_0014.jpg

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks in advance!
Grangey

Thats a gooden matey

it looks like its an old house, is it??

if so I`ve seen this before, in my old house years ago. Is the plaster loose, ie; if you tap it does it sound hollow if so be warned and I mean

BE WARNED

After I tapped my wall a piece fell off, then a bigger piece came off, then virtually a whole wall just crashed down on me :eek:

Before I new it every wall in every room was down to the bare brick and i`d a skip full of 100`s of bags of old horse air plaster :eek::eek::eek:

Now thats really spoilt your Sunday afternoon hasn`t it :D

If it feels solid enough just lightly fill with a scraper full of polyfilla stuff and rub down :smashin:

Very time consuming I know but probably worth it in the long run :(

I would also say polyfiller and lining paper, just do not use the pre-mixed polyfiller use the powdered stuff you mix it yourself..

John...

If they are only hair line cracks and there not loose dont bother filling just get some 1200 lining paper and line the room.

The quickest and easyest way to clear that up is to use FINE filler, can be got anywhere, comes with a plastic applicator and you would clear that up in minutes.
DO NOT use Polyfilla, if for any reason you need to sand the stuff your will be there all day, once fine filler has dried a very quick run over with a fine sandpaper will leave the wall ready to paint if you want.

The quickest and easyest way to clear that up is to use FINE filler, can be got anywhere, comes with a plastic applicator and you would clear that up in minutes.
DO NOT use Polyfilla, if for any reason you need to sand the stuff your will be there all day, once fine filler has dried a very quick run over with a fine sandpaper will leave the wall ready to paint if you want.

Fine filler imo isnt the best idea for this sort of thing, fine filler is ok for a second fill on woodwork and walls but not for first prep purposes, if you really dont want to paper the walls then my advice would be and this will take some time and cause some problems if there is lose plaster but I would rake the cracks out so youve got a deeper fill and buy yourself a sack tetrion filler and get filling!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom