1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting MDF

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by loonatic, Aug 24, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am currently making a cabinet for all my AV stuff from MDF - I know I've been watching too many TV DIY programmes - but I could not find what I wanted elsewhere.

I would like to finish it in black but what's the best way to do this ? and what would be the best sort of paint to use ?

Cheers, Lee

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mr Taz should be able to help you here.

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I built my arcade cabinet out of MDF, and used a white primer on it initially.

A couple of coats of that were applied with a roller, and then a matt black was put on top.

I just used normal paint that you would stick on your walls.

Depending on the level of use it will get, you might want to consider some kind of varnish or top coat to protect the paint from knocks and scratches.

This will give you a slightly shiney finish though, so it depends if that's the look you're after.

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee, why paint it?, try black ash fablon far better finish than painting it, if you really want to paint it LMK and i'll try and help.

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the replies :smashin:

It will have to be paint as it's turned into rather a large project, which now encompasses the whole wall.

I think it would be both too difficult and expensive to use fablon...but as I've never used it before I'm only guessing.

I think I would like a glossy finish rather than matt.

Had a look around my local B&Q today and they had some paint which looks like it might just do the job...but I can't remember what it was called now :eek:

But generally speaking I should do the following:

* Sand everything down
    * Remove excess dust -- tack cloth ??
    * Undercoat - white
    * Top coat

Can post some piccies if anyone's interest :p

Cheers, Lee

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Good luck, it sounds like a big project, DO NOT sand the skin off the MDF!.. apart from the finish, what you will have left is compressed cardboad.... ie, not very strong! give the end grains a light sanding then apply an MDF sealer after its dry, sand with fine grit then re-seal and sand untill the finish is at the very least as good as the skin (3 coats should be ok).

Tack cloth is a good idea

Prime the whole project with a good primer, I used Plasticote on Ricks sub then a light sand and tack rag again,

Top coat is up to you, but if you want a decent finish its gonna have to be sprayed on and belive me the slightest mark/scratch is going to show.

Give us some piccys and good luck!

:smashin:

7. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    spray it with primer then when dry spray whatever colour u like

best use auto spray, u can even finish it off with a nice gloss varnish (sprayed on) this will look fab and last f4ever

8. blue73

blue73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There are special primers for MDF called ESP or Easy Surface Preparation. Almost all Home fixin stores should have them, It comes in spray or paint on...... Hope that helps and good luck.

Maybe after its all done you could post some piccs of you handy work aye:smashin:

9. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get down to your local Homebase store and get an MDF primer sold under the International brand/range.
    Pay special attention to the end grain as that is where the MDF soaks up the paint the most.
    After the primer you can use an ordinary gloss/satin type paint that is normally used on wood.
    It is best to apply all the coats with a mini FOAM type roller as it is easier and leaves no brush marks.