Painting garden fence

$lim$hady

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really want to paint my garden fence but I hear a lot about a common problems whereby paint drips or penetrates through the other side causing the neighbours fence to look a mess. Is this quite common?

Or are there tips to avoid this?

It can (and does) go through the gaps in the fence.

You can either paint the fence the same colour as they have or not load the brush with as much paint, which will mean it will take longer but there will be virtually no seepage.

Avoid sprays.

If the fence is yours you can do as you like but if its next doors you are best to gain permission before painting to keep the peace. That's what I add as advise to my clients as it stops any problems.
Most will be quite happy if its their fence and you want to paint it as it will protect the wood and if you can keep to the same colour its a bonus.

A solicitor once told me there was no such thing as my fence or their fence ,they are all shared . Doesn't seem right to me , but hey :)

A solicitor once told me there was no such thing as my fence or their fence ,they are all shared . Doesn't seem right to me , but hey :)

The previous owners of my house must have had some argi bargi as the fences have their own section in the deeds. As it happens they all fall 'inside the boundaries' of my land.

OP: If the fence is the panel type with the concrete posts you may find it easier taking them out to paint/stain.

Last edited:
signs said:

You need a better one as there are civil cases over fences and painting. This includes structures attached to a fence as well.

Nobody mentioned the orientation of the fence?

If the overlap faces you, you won't get many drips on your neighbours side.

Who owns the fences are marked on the original block plans of our house.

Nobody mentioned the orientation of the fence?

If the overlap faces you, you won't get many drips on your neighbours side.

Overlap? Our fence doesn't have an overlap. I'd say most don't... but some do :)

Indicated by little 'v' symbols? Ours shows this as well.

Indicated by little 'v' symbols? Ours shows this as well.

Ours was a T. oddly we're only responsible for the fence at the back and neither at the sides. Our neighbour to the left is responsible for 3 fences around their property (left, back and right) :confused:

The horizontal timber pieces that overlap eachother. Most common fences in the UK. You bet your life the OP has featheredge:D

T's here too !

That's certainly the case with mine.
I thought the council was responsible for the rotting fences running along the side of my house when I moved in, but they refered me to my deeds which showed that the side and rear fences were owned by me.

When I had them replaced for decent quality fencing, I went round to the neighbour separated by the back fence, to let him know I had no objections if he wanted to paint or treat it to his own taste.
I could see over his gate that he was already painting it :rolleyes:
I was a bit irritated but just decided to let it go.
I just thought it was a bit presumptuous to go ahead without asking.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom