Painting both sides of garden fence?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Having an 'argument' with the old man at the moment.

He is currently painting the fence with some Cuprinol and we need to get some more 5ltr cans, so I ask him now many and he says double what I think and then says we need to paint both sides.

I laughed and said you must be joking if you think the five neighbours that our fence covers are going to let us into their garden to paint our fence. He said don't be nervous, I then said I couldn't give a sh*t about being nervous, it's just not what you do. You can't expect to go into someone else's garden to paint the other side of our fence, what if they want a different colour or just don't want a stranger in their garden?

Who is right here? Is it accepted that you can knock on a neighbours door and ask them if you can paint the other side of our fence?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
No, don't associate me with that thread! :D

Sandman

Distinguished Member
You are right. It would be unfair for you to decide what colour your neighbours side of the fence should be.

D

Deleted member 27989

No need to paint the neighbours side.

And no need to paint the top either, they will do that for you :p

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Having an 'argument' with the old man at the moment.

He is currently painting the fence with some Cuprinol and we need to get some more 5ltr cans, so I ask him now many and he says double what I think and then says we need to paint both sides.

I laughed and said you must be joking if you think the five neighbours that our fence covers are going to let us into their garden to paint our fence. He said don't be nervous, I then said I couldn't give a sh*t about being nervous, it's just not what you do. You can't expect to go into someone else's garden to paint the other side of our fence, what if they want a different colour or just don't want a stranger in their garden?

Who is right here? Is it accepted that you can knock on a neighbours door and ask them if you can paint the other side of our fence?
Just out of curiousity , how old are both of you ?

nheather

Distinguished Member
Depends on where you live and what your neighbours are like.

Where I live, access to a neighbours garden to do some work is a non-issue.

The only issue would be the colour - if the neighbour was happy with the colour I can't imagine them objecting to me doing the work.

But I agree that it is easier to let each neighbour do their own.

Cheers,

Nigel

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
That's it then , in his day people used to talk and get on with neighbours , not saying you don't btw [emoji106]

:) Actually we know the neighbours quite well to the left and the right. The one directly behind are friendly, but the ones behind to the left and the right are fairly new so we don't know them. One of them is rented.

The whole idea of it just seemed funny to me, but I guess it's not!

mick goody

Banned
I recently painted my fence on both sides, the neighbours either side have never painted theirs. I simple pulled the fence panels one at a time, painted both sides and put them back.

I had no complaints, infact I think they were glad it svaed them a job!

If a fence panel starts to rot from neighbours side it's not worth protecting your side.

IronGiant

Yet another plus point for slot in panels :thumbsup:

mick goody

Banned
@Greg Hook I think if your father approaches the neighbours and asks politely if he may paint both sides to proserve the fence they would be silly to say no. If somebody knocked on my door and said "can I paint your fence for free" I'd bite their hand off! :)

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
@Greg Hook I think if your father approaches the neighbours and asks politely if he may paint both sides to proserve the fence they would be silly to say no. If somebody knocked on my door and said "can I paint your fence for free" I'd bite their hand off! :)

That's what he was going to do, I just thought it was a strange thing to do, but must be me!

mick goody

Banned
That's what he was going to do, I just thought it was a strange thing to do, but must be me!
It isn't right that your dad should have to be doing this. Having a proper fence put in isn't cheap. I think your dad wants to paint and protect both sides just like I did.

The surrounding neighbours shoud have had the courtesy of painting their own side of their side of the fence if your dad paid for it.

I know exactly where he is coming from.

I have to ask my neighbours if I can come in there garden to pull the weeds out that creep under and through my fence every few months! This does annoy me some what because they are lazy and I look afte my garden.

Kailash

i see he wants to protect the fence on both sides, makes sense
sounds like a large fence if it runs across five gardens?
if i had paid a lot of money for it i would probably explain what i'm doing and ask them do they mind if i paint it or if they want to do their own thing then no probs.

mick goody

Banned
i see he wants to protect the fence on both sides, makes sense
sounds like a large fence if it runs across five gardens?
if i had paid a lot of money for it i would probably explain what i'm doing and ask them do they mind if i paint it or if they want to do their own thing then no probs.
I couldn't agree more to this comment. My neighbours on each side are 70+ years old so I'm not about to force them to paint their side, hence why I go and weed there garden to stop weeds coming into my garden. At Christmas and special occasions they have lots of young family that seem to call around for 20 or so, about 3 times a year.

I've cut both neighbours grass countless times and made them both a flower bed. I've funded the flowers myself and not charged a penny to do and work on the garden.

I guess I'm lucky to have decent neighbours!

One of my neighbours cannt change a light bulb on his own, I get a phone call for small jobs like that and he has me on speed dial incase he has fall.

I guess my neighbours are different to the OP. Only payment I've ever taken is a 24 crate of Fosters when he had a home delivery from Tesco and I didn't ask for that.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution