Painting Alloys

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Has anyone had alloys painted before?

Scuffed one of mine the other day so going to get them refurbed but also painted black. What are people's opinions or paint or powder coating? I believe powder coating is stronger and long lasting but if damaged again needs redoing. Paint isn't as tough but can be touched up?

What would people recommend?

Thanks.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Paint always seems to flake if it's not done properly. Paint sticks best to a surface that is not "perfectly smooth" - that is, a bit rougher. Makes sense - more surface area etc. Paint can do a good job, but powder coating is much better in most cases, as it is electrostatically applied and then cured with a heat source. The finish is usually a bit more tough and more durable than regular painting methods. Plus, a clear-coat tends to go over the top to boot. Applying clear coat as a regular sort of paint is a right pain!

In addition, when you send them to someone for powder coating, they're likely to sandblast them first and get all the old paint off, for a truly naked starting point.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Still can't decide.

Would be the Vauxhall garage doing the painting so should do if properly.

=adrian=

I was thinking about doing the same thing later in the year - refurbish and powder coat the wheels. The problem I have is that I can't decided whether to leave the same colour as they are now or go black.

Alex if you decide to go for it, would you be so kind and post some photos please? I'd appreciate that.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Will give them a call tomorrow.

They only want the car for the day ps assume they're doing it themselves.

Thanks

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Will give them a call tomorrow.

They only want the car for the day ps assume they're doing it themselves.

Thanks
They tend to use mobile guys so it could go either way. See what guarantee they're confident in offering you :) usually a good indicator of how good they are at the job.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
That's my thinking.

Whether they paint or powder coat, if they offer say a 2 year warranty or something then I'd be happy with either.

Thanks!

pittsy46

There are loads of powder coating companies around I have had a couple of bike frames done and the finish is really nice hard wearing too. Never had wheels done though, might think about getting mine done in black.
It didn't cost a great deal for a bike frame either.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Getting wheels 'dipped' is another option.
You get some garish designs (leopard print) etc
But you get some smart stuff too.
I've seen wheels 'dipped' with a carbon fibre effect and they were absolutely bloody beautiful.

mjn

Distinguished Member
If you're getting the alloys powder coated, they should be left to fully cure for 2-3 days before having tyres mounted on them.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
If you're getting the alloys powder coated, they should be left to fully cure for 2-3 days before having tyres mounted on them.
Good firms tend to state they need your wheels for 2-3 days, so best to check before you hand your wheels over :) Valid point though and an easy one to forget.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I was told a day per wheel from the company that did my Mini wheels.
I was lucky that they happened to have another set, with tyres, lying around that I could use.
They actually offered me an exchange, but I didn't like the design of their wheels.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom