Painting a rusty old dish? What type of Hammerite?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by PaulQQQ, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. PaulQQQ

PaulQQQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have this rusty old steel warrior, which lived on the seafront in Brighton for many years, and I'm thinking of painting it to restore it's old youthfulness.
    dish.jpg
    I've seen Hammerite paint recommended. Would anyone have any experience of using Hammerite Direct to Rust and if so would anyone recommend it? There seems to be Satin, Smooth or Hammered finishes so which would be best?

If not, what type of Hammerite paint is needed as I've heard I shouldn't use metallic paint?

Also would i need to perform any rust proofing before painting other than a rub down with emery paper? If so, are there are any particularly good rust proofing products and please could you let me know what to do ?

Hammerite do a Ku-rust product - has anyone used it?

Finally, does leaving it rusty inhibit perfomance to any great extent?

Many thanks,
    Paul

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Just get a new one - they're cheap enough! :D

3. PaulQQQ

PaulQQQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I like re-cycling old kit - it's the ecologist in me I guess :D

4. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,139
    And you are going to paint it with a toxic substance? Leave it as it is, it's quite aesthetically pleasing and will enhance your reputation with the tree huggers of Brighton no end:rotfl:. (Or get a new one as suggested elsewhere:D)

5. PaulQQQ

PaulQQQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good advice, though the dish is now re-homed in Reading. Mind you, we have tree huggers every bit as good here too. I'm doing this as a scavenger project and trying to avoid any form of payment wherever possible so I might as well save myself the cost of the paint, not to mention the effort!

6. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,139
    Get THIS girl on the job. She's good at that sort of thing.:D
    If, and it's a big if, I were doing it, I would give it a good stiff rubbing down, then Hammerite it.
    No. Not ideal though, or aesthetically pleasing to the posher population of Reading. Doing it will of course upset the tree huggers with all that iron oxide and old paint dust flying around and the obviously highly toxic (cancer in a can) thinners used in the Hammerite.:rotfl:

7. caldirun

caldirun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Don't knock tree huggers, do you know what trees do for us? they deserve hugging. As regards the dish remove it from the boom, shot blast it, give it a spray with undercoat then 2 top coats, might only cost £40 or go to the local tip and borrow a much better one!

8. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,139
    I'll be out there first thing in the morning and follow your advice and hope the fellows in the white coats don't see me.
    Or go Here and get a whole bunch of change from your £40.

9. PaulQQQ

PaulQQQ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A very interesting debate - aesthetics v eco-approach. However my natural inclination is for the latter so I'm going to do nothing with it and live with it's weathered approach - dare to be different and all that! Thanks very much for all input.

I like the idea of going to the tip for a better one - but here in Reading it's all hi-tech/ big business at the rubbish tip and you can't get down to where the rubbish is thrown so it's probably no go - even if you managed to escape the clutches of the brutal guards on permanent duty to prevent such actions!

One final question. I've bought a cheap LNB rail which I'm going to attach to this dish - would anyone have a rough idea of what azimuth range I could get. I think the dish dimensions are approximately 80cm wide by 50 cm. My optimum choice would be to range from Astra 28.2E from FreeSat to 5W for a few freebie channels, but I'm guessing it won't manage that as that would be 33 degrees azimuth, but would it do from Astra 1 at 19E to 5W, only 24 degrees azimuth?

Many thanks,
    Paul QQQ

10. Monster900

Monster900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I painted mine once, it was a PITA to do with all the holes. It now gets Waxoiled every couple of years.

11. Ghostleader

Ghostleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I had 5W to 28E on a 80cm ISS perforated dish, massive rail system, search my posting history mate.