Painting a pull down screen?

KingD

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Just wondering if anyone has painted the outside (the bit the screen rolls into) of a pull down screen, we just redecorated our "movie room" in nice dark colours but our Panoview screen is bright gloss white, its really bugging me, would be great if you could share your experience/technique/type of paint etc, maybe some pics?

Last edited:
The Casing? Yep, spray painted my electric one black to blend in with the beam it's attached to. No issues at all* (apart from the smell of the spray paint).

*Obviously seems likely to void warranty

You could always cover it in vinyl. That way it is removable if needed, I've recently used it to freshen up our kitchen units and it would be my preferred method when I change to an electric screen as they all seem to have white casings and my current pull down is black

The Casing? Yep, spray painted my electric one black to blend in with the beam it's attached to. No issues at all* (apart from the smell of the spray paint).

*Obviously seems likely to void warranty
Warranty is well gone its ancient lol, what type of paint did you use? dont want to get the wrong type and make a mess of it!

You could always cover it in vinyl. That way it is removable if needed, I've recently used it to freshen up our kitchen units and it would be my preferred method when I change to an electric screen as they all seem to have white casings and my current pull down is black
Thought about Vinyl too, would work for the upper portion but would be a nightmare for the handle and L Bracket/Mounts

Warranty is well gone its ancient lol, what type of paint did you use? dont want to get the wrong type and make a mess of it!

It was just a can of matt black spray paint. It stank and I'd spray outdoors so the fumes don't get you!

Think it was something like this:

Looks fine a few years later, but could probably do with a touch up in places. Cleaning the dust off it would probably help in my case ;-)

PS, mine was/ is an electric screen so it was literally just the casing that needed sprayed and being careful with the angle of spray meant no overspray up into the rolled screen...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
It was just a can of matt black spray paint. It stank and I'd spray outdoors so the fumes don't get you!

Think it was something like this:

Looks fine a few years later, but could probably do with a touch up in places. Cleaning the dust off it would probably help in my case ;-)

PS, mine was/ is an electric screen so it was literally just the casing that needed sprayed and being careful with the angle of spray meant no overspray up into the rolled screen...

Thanks buddy thats a great help, going to give it a go with the plastikoat and see how it goes, did you prime it first or just go for it?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
i have a shaphire electric drop down screen with white casing and ive covered mine in sticky plastic vynil stuff.

unlike painting it can easily be removed with no trace

i have a shaphire electric drop down screen with white casing and ive covered mine in sticky plastic vynil stuff.

unlike painting it can easily be removed with no trace

Here's my screen casing covered in black vynil.. it disguises the screen when the screen us up

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom