Paint to improve brightness (gain) please

martin purnell

Novice Member
I would welcome any advice please as to how I can improve the brightness so that my wife can see the picture better. Basically, she suffers from Retinitis Pigmentosa which in Janet and John language means she has lost 95% of total vision and relies on tunnel vision out of one eye. Also just as you can have "snow blindness" so can you have night and day blindness whereby if it is too dark or too bright, she can't see anything. With this in mind, here is my problem!
As of last week, I am now the proud owner of a Sanyo PLV Z3. I came up with this idea that instead of making a screen (see the threads on making one with MDF and the Paints,Brews and Mixes...thanks for info on those) I could buy a really big canvas sheet that has already been stretched as if I was an artist ready for action! Amazingly, my idea worked! I was able to purchase a 56" wide ready made canvas frame from an Art shop (Windsor and Newton are the makers) and it was on a Buy One Get One Free offer for just over £50. The 56" wide means that I have been able to hang the frame on the fireplace wall which is exactly the same width! To me, the picture quality is excellent and hardly any DIY was needed! Also, when you have finished watching, the screen reverts to the classic White Cat In A Snowstorm painting and doesn't at all look out of place in our living room!
We watched last night, Mr and Mrs Smith, and apart from the fact that it was most probably the worst film we have seen this year it did show up lots of night scene problems. This has been easily corrected by altering the Gamma. However, whilst I am now very happy with the PQ, any extra brightness that helped my wife see better, has been lost. Thanks for reading this novel and here is my question! What can I paint onto the canvas screen that is easy to obtain and will give me the extra brightness (gain) for my wife to at least see a little more detail during night time scenes for instance?

Thanks,
Martin

IronGiant

The simplest approach might be to improve contrast by making the screen very slightly grey (Dulux Icestorm 5 or 6), this will allow you to increase the gain on your projector. I don't know whether this will help your wife though, it could just as easily make it worse for her depending on how dark/bright it is.

There are also some lumatech paints that are very "bright" you could try out quite cheaply, I'll try and find the link for you.

Dave

Edit: It's Lumitec - (Dulux Light & Space Matt White)

martin purnell

Novice Member
Thanks Dave for replying, I'll look forward to this link. I have never heard of Lumitec paints either! Also, I have found this from a previous thread "VOGEL`S projection screen paint" Their website doesn't mention any price though....maybe because if it is anything like Goo paint, it would be cheaper to buy a screen!
Martin

IronGiant

here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324108&highlight=lumitec

If you read through the thread you will see that we found it too bright, but it may work for your wife's RP, a match pot is a £1 or so, so easy to try out on a small panel without investing too much if it doesn't work or makes viewing worse. They do some slightly tinted ones as well as white so a grey one might be worth trying as well.

I suspect the Vogel paint is expensive too :)

HTH

Dave

martin purnell

Novice Member
Thanks Dave for taking the time to reply. The thread you posted was excellent and more concise than Brews and Mixes! You need a day to read the latter!
I am very interested in Mavice's idea of 10 parts Lumitec to 2 parts B and Q Sensual Silver. As we have a B and Q nearby not only does that help but I think they also have a mixing machine as well! Lazy or what?!
As you featured quite a lot on that thread, I'd be grateful if you could tell me what you ended up doing paint wise.
Many thanks,
Martin

IronGiant

It was just an intellectual exercise for me Martin as my current set up is a pull down screen that comes down in front of 2 porthole windows that the plasma sits between, but one day I would like to have a wall to paint, so try and keep up to date, it's the old scientist in me. I used to work in mitochondrial genetics so I am familiar with RP, but not as a medical practitioner.

All the best,

Dave

martin purnell

Novice Member
Well Dave, if we have found a cure for RP with this paint, we won't make a fortune! However, I went to B+Q this evening and whilst the extremely helpful lady wasn't able to mix the light and space paint in her machine, I eventually decided to go for it anyway! £21.90 later and I was the proud owner of a 2.5 litre tin of Dulux Matt White Lumitec (smallest size they do apart from the £1 tester!), a small bucket with measurements inside, the Sensual Silver metallic paint £2 pot (can't remember the makers but it was someone I'd never heard of before) and a small roller set.
I have just finished painting my spare canvas so I'll let it dry overnight and maybe give it another coat tomorrow along with painting the sides of the frame black.
If this venture is a success, then it would be the best £76.90 spent on AV products and what's more it's my first ever invention!
I take Mavice's points re ambient light in the daytime, but the screen is really only for watching movies at night. I'll let you know the final verdict tomorrow.

IronGiant

Please do :thumbsup:

Dave

martin purnell

Novice Member
Hi Dave,
I thought I might as well give it a second coat this morning as well as paint the sides of the frame for that "superior" look!
So far, I have used 400 ml of the mixed paint and the first thought on what it looks like is very good :clap: Comparing the Mk 2 version to the unpainted original canvas reveals that it looks like a light grey with a pearlescent effect. It reminds me of the purpose built hard screens you used to get when CRT projectors came out.
When it gets dark, then I will be able to do a comparison test between the 2 versions. I am expecting darker "tighter" blacks and a brighter feel to the overall picture.
Martin

martin purnell

Novice Member
Right then, at 4.30pm it was sufficiently dark enough to try out the Mark 2 version in our living room with the Z3 pj. Whilst the Sanyo Z3 is not as powerful as other machines, I was hoping that the Mark 2 screen would help boost the picture quality in terms of colour and brightness.
I used as reference, the recently re-released and restored Battle Of Britain as there are plenty of daytime and night time sequences that offer contrast and colour. The only downside to using this movie as a reference is when you have your 5 year old son sitting next to you asking every 10 seconds "Is that plane a goody or baddy?"
So to my findings....Everything I wanted it to achieve, has been. The colours are slightly sharper and the blacks, in my opinion, are slightly bolder. For instance, when Ian MacShane walks through a blitzed area of London late at night, the colour quality is tighter with less brightness in the blacker areas. The nicest surprise though, are in the faces. In the opening scene, Christopher Plummer, in broad bright daylight, chastises a young pilot for doing a victory loop. There is a positive warmth now in their faces.The Mark 1 screen was able to portray all the facial expressions and show quite clearly different vegetation by the road-side in various shades of green that had been beaten by the sun. The Mark 2 screen, though gives it that bit more "welly." I also, later on in the film, noticed that the reds were sharper and bolder especially in dark/night time scenes.
At the end of all this, I can't really lose. The second screen was free and all it has cost me is £21.90 for paints and equipment from B + Q. It works very well indeed. It is just a pity though that I can't compare this version 2 to say a decent Beamax ready made screen. The bottom line is the total cost for everything including the 2 screens is £76.90. A half decent screen is twice that, but is it going to be as good as I what I now have? If you use Mavice's ratio of paint to silver as I did, you won't go wrong.
What I have now, in comparison to the untreated canvas screen, is a picture that is slightly more subtle, sharper and bolder. The emphasis is on the "slightly more" bit but there is a difference and this makes it more pleasing to the eye. All that is left for me to do now it to paint a black border to tighten up even more the picture contrast et voila! Any other questions or suggestions are welcome!
Martin

IronGiant

Fantastic :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What does Mrs Purnell think?

Dave

martin purnell

Novice Member
Good question Dave. The answer is that she can't tell the difference because the RP is so bad. She did say though that if I was pleased then so was she! Bless!
martin

mavice

Hi Martin

glad to hear you found a cheap mix that serves your purposes

the basic principle of gey mixes is sound and using a brighter white with a silver to tint to grey maintains some of the brightness and colour boldness you described with the deeper blacks from a grey mix - a good combo.

can you just confirm the mix you used - was it 5 lumitec : 1 sensual silver ?

that truely is a simple mix - well done :smashin:

martin purnell

Novice Member
Hi Mavice,
Glad to be able to respond to your question. I literally took your advice from the Paints Brews Mixes thread after someone had posted a thought re the Lumitec Space and Light range.
You stated that it should be 10 parts Lumitec and 2 parts Sensual Silver. Now in my day at school I would have been shot had I not "downscaled" it to 5 parts to 1....unless there is a difference!
I bought the paints at B and Q. The only sensual silver paint they had was Metallic Sensual Silver made by a company I had never heard of. There were 2 metallic paints that were grey for sale, but only one that had the word "sensual" on. The other one stated it was for walls whilst the Sensual Silver paint said that it was good for stencilling and painting onto furniture etc. The manufacturers had 2 surnames in their title and it came in a small round bottle...a bit like a small jar of hand cream I have to buy my wife, if that makes sense! I would tell you the actual name of the product makers but it is now somewhere in the deepest recesses of our bin and it's not a nice place to go into!
I also bought a small bucket whilst in BandQ to do the mixing in. The bucket contaned a ML scale on the inside which considerably helped. I reckoned that on the 5 parts to 1 ratio, as the Sensual Silver was 100 ml, I needed 500 ml of the Lumitec! That is what I did and have still some left over, having painted my 56" wide canvass screen with at least 2 coats.
My in-laws came round last night were able to tell me (without even being prompted) that there was an improvement in the overall PQ, with deeper blacks and better colours! So, we had better start up a company and sell this product for at least £100 a tin...undercutting all the others on the market!
If I can help with anything else, please let me know.
Martin

PS, With this Mk 2 version, I have noticed that maybe a black surround isn't al that necessary as I was able to focus in better onto the picture. There is also a website of a manufacturer in the USA that shows Mr Versace's home cinema, and he has painted the whole living area the same colour, but not with the Dulux/Sensual Silve mix!

mavice

thanks Martin

the 100ml:20ml (or 5:1 as you rightly pointed out) comes from a guestimate I made for using Sensual silver, as I had only tried AutoMM with the Lumitec which is much denser in metalics

glad you tried SS and cool that it works .:smashin:

from your description of the pot, it is definately B&Q Sensual Silver by Craig & Rose - for anyone in doubt

well done and hope you enjoy your screen.:hiya:

regards

Mavice

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom