• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Paint Tester Pots

Newton's Ring

I was thinking it would be a good idea for diy shops to give a rebate off a full tub of paint when customers bring back a tester pot. What do you think?

Has anyone ever carefully prized off the lid of paint pot to test the colour, then take it back? Because tester pots are expensive when you consider that's all they are.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I got one of the little £2 things as a tester, I didn't see it as much of a problem.
Just a little 50ml thing. Seemed worth it just to make sure the colour looked ok on the wall.

Newton's Ring

Suppose.

But then, say you didn't like it.

Another £2 for another pot.

Not quite right, then another. If you could take back your testers with a receipt and redeem it against a full tub of one which you like it maybe wouldn't seem so bad...?

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Yeah I can understand your thinking and it does make perfect sense.

I've never really picked a colour i've not been totally happy with, they nearly always look exactly as they do on the swatches from my experience, at least with Dulux stuff.

But yeah if you're getting a couple of tester pots then that's really pricey, it would make sense if you could redeem the price against the full pot.

I think most of the cost for the testers is for the packaging though?

RichardK

I think at some of the big chains they will refund the cost of the tester pot if you buy a normal size pot of that colour.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
When doing our bedroom we bought loads of tester pots. We wanted two slightly different shades of brown/cream for different walls and trying to find some that we liked and that also went together well was a nightmare. We must have spent about £15+ on tester pots alone. Still, in the grand scheme of sorting out the whole room it wasn't a lot of money, but you still feel a bit ripped off paying for such a small amount of paint.

Throttle

I do agree with the idea of a refund if you did go to buy a actual full pot of that tester pot :smashin: :smashin: and at B&Q stores near me the testers pots are only £1 so though getting a few testers would add up its still a bargain compared to £2 testers mentioned previously :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom