Question Paint for projector screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gargoris, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Gargoris

Gargoris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am planning to paint a wall to project on it with an Optoma hd141x. The wall in on a living room whyw white walls and clear furniture so loads of light, I was planning to use paint on screen high contrast S1. However when reading I've also seen the DIY mixtures or just normal paint. What is the general opinion here on projector screen paint Vs normal paints. Does it worth? I've seen threads here but they are old and I've been reading that screens with gains under 1 are not necessary anymore with the new projectors.

Any help is welcomed

2. Colintwoods

Colintwoods
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gargoris, I have a painted wall screen (standard emulsion) mainly to achieve a larger image than I would have using the screen I was given. However, I added a small amount of black paint to make the screen a very light grey to help the blacks on my cheapish (optoma hd33) projector. I then fixed samples of screen material to the wall (including a piece of +1 gain) and although the whites and colours were a little brighter on the white material the blacks were less good. My two sons also have cinema rooms and in both of those they have chosen to use just a white wall and they still look great. I think your biggest issue is going to be the amount of light bouncing around from your white walls. When we first set up our room the walls and ceiling were cream and it really didn’t feel very cinema-like. Because the room was not used for anything else I painted the ceiling dark grey and the walls dark red and this transformed the viewing experience and improved the overall image quality. I also think if I was spending thousands on s yopbenf projector then that deserved the best screen etc, but at my, and my sons end of the market painted wall works fine (they both went for darker decor too which really does help). Hope this helps.
    Colin.

3. Nathan0121

Nathan0121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have just painted my front room main wall to fit my screen. I used a paint called Manhattan Grey it's a gray not dark but by any means but has a bit of a blue tint to it but. Anyway I used it to test out my UST projector and had lots of light filling the room from the front window and I even put light on and it did really well in it imho. The thing that really let the picture down was the anaglypta wallpaper. Now I know it looks dark in the room but that's down to phone camera and maybe the PJ but for the price £16 10 litters you can't really go wrong in using it. Even if it's to make a different mix up. Anyway video for you to take a look at

xiaomi mi laser projector

4. Gargoris

Gargoris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for your answer, i am affraid that my projcetor is on the living room so there is no way I can go for darker walls /ceiling (my wife won´t let me touch this matter. I will keep on searching on the owrld of grey mixes and see what I find

5. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I made myself a screen painted with the black widow mix last year. I would recommend this, the constituent parts are easy to source and relatively cheap and the screen looks good in my lounge which is far from a bat cave.
    Black Widow (paint mix) - Wikipedia

6. Gargoris

Gargoris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so you´ve used the black widow? i was thinking on using it but i´ve found a lot of controversy on that mix with many saying that it doesn´t change much from normal grey paint, did you roll or sprayed?

7. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I used a roller. I actually own a grey pull down screen and I think the black widow painted one looks better. It is brighter, the auto aluminium paint does help. I bought a sheet of foamex painted it with the black widow and put a black felt border around its edge. It's light enough to be held up by four small screws so easily taken down when necessary.

8. Chinstroke

Chinstroke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I’m tempted by the painted foamex route myself. Can I just ask a couple of questions, what size screen and what thickness? Did you need to prime the screen before painting with the black widow? And finally did you attach the board to a timber frame on the wall or some other method?

9. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I used 5mm foamex, the screen is about 90" diagonally. I rollered straight onto the foamex (about 4 coats). I drilled four small holes around the edge and the screen is screwed straight into the wall. No timber frame. I stuck the black felt edging tape up after mounting the screen.

10. Gargoris

Gargoris
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, which BW did you used' 1 part AAA + Dulux grey steel 2?

11. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I used grey steel 2 and mixed as per the wiki (which seems to have changed and no longer has the recipe !!???)

12. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Black Widow EU is a projection screen paint mix version for EU.

The formula has changed, due to the Auto-Air Aluminium paint composition changing. See below for more details. The old formula was:

• 4 parts (960ml) of “Johnstone's Covaplus Vinyl Matt Finish” tinted (NCS color code: S 0907 Y70R) paint from Johnstone's or Leyland Trade.
    • 1 part (240ml) of “Auto-Air Aluminium Base Fine” (code: 4101) paint from Createx Auto Air Colors. (AAA)
    Previously, the AAA paint had a blue tint to it, which required the main paint to have a pink tint, so that the combination produced a true Neutral Grey; however, batches of AAA since 2013 have a different formulation that does not have a significant tint. It is now recommended to use a Neutral Grey paint as the main paint - as below, many have used Dulux Grey Steel 2, which has an NCS code of 00NN 53/000 which equates to N7.8 on the Munsell scale. The same ratio of the paints are used instead.

Note 2:In the UK the auto aluminum can be sourced in 120 ml bottles; the only source for the fine version seems to be SM Designs in Northern Ireland. Don't use the other variants, it does not work as well.

Note 3: If you can't find the "Johnstone's Covaplus Vinyl Matt Finish” try the "DULUX Vinyl Matt". I do not know if it works exactly the same as the "DULUX Wash & Wear Flat" for the AU prescription but the codes of DULUX in Europe are:[1]
    Grey Steel1 00NN 31/000 ( it is the darkest one )
    Grey Steel2 00NN 53/000 ( RGB(184,184,182) - N7.8 )
    Grey Steel3 00NN 72/000 ( RGB(219,220,219) - N8.8 )
    Grey Steel4 00NN 83/000 ( it is the lightest one - N9.3 )

13. pjazzy

pjazzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is the paint on these screens hardwearing? I intend to paint a whole wall and it will be leaned against etc. Does the paint scratch easily?

14. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The bulk of the mix is just regular dulux matt emulsion so no different from most interior paint.

15. pjazzy

pjazzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Awesome, thanks. I'm going to give this a go and see how it turns out