paint for diy screen

T

torres09

i recently framed up my screen and what would be the best paint for the mdf sheet:thumbsup:

MississippiMan

Well, a lot of different considerations go into making such a recomendation.

• Room Dimensions
  • Lighting conditions when watching
  • Projector selection (specifications) and mounting location
  • Screen size
  • Painting skills, existing or to be acquired
  • Patience
  • One's level of Desire for whatever level of accomplished performance one wants/expects
It's easy enough to "dumb down" the whole process these days, if the PJ is an excellent one, and one's expectations know no other reference to judge by. Almost any decently done DIY Screen will deliver results that are wholly unexpected to a newcomer.

In DIY, what makes for exceptional "Over the Top" results is almost always dependent upon the effort made. But as previously stated....what one person might suggest as being "necessary to do" to get the best results might very well be more than the "asker" really needs...or expects.

I myself have always advocated doing the absolute most one can accomplish....right from the start. But thats me. :nono:

So try your best to provide a detailed response to the previously listed queries, and I, or one of several other devoted advocates will respond accordingly.

Davyhulme

I was really pleased with the results I got using Screen Goo. You need to be very careful with a roller or know how to use a spray gun.

stumci

Standard Member
i was impressed by your reply MississippiMan! i've been browsing on here for hours tonight trying to find posts about types/colours of paint for my wall. you sound like you know what your talking about and i would really appreciate it if you could throw some advice my way!

i'll try to include as much info as i can....

• Room Dimensions - 3x4m.. not huge. can get about a 90 inch picture from from projector
  • Lighting conditions when watching - will only be at night, in total darkness (no outdoor lights shine in the house)
  • Projector selection (specifications) and mounting location - Its a samsung spa400b - SAMSUNG SPA400 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc. - and will be mounted on the ceiling roughly 270cm away from the viewing wall
  • Screen size - i think around 90 inches... and its 16:9
  • Painting skills, existing or to be acquired - tbh, no real paint experience.. but i'll give it my best shot.. im very determined!
  • Patience - of a saint
  • One's level of Desire for whatever level of accomplished performance one wants/expects - im not expecting top quality crystal clear images.. but i'd be happy knowing i got the best possible result from my effort regardless of how it ends up.
i will be mainly watching films on it from my desktop pc, but i will also be hooking sky hd up to if a worthy film is showing. ive got an electrician coming round next week to install everything.. and even install faceplate/connection things for the projector onto the walls so theres no messy wires hanging around.

the other walls in the room will be painted a dark colour (brown/gray.. we havent decided yet) and will be painting the wall the projector will be pointing at all the same colour (i dont think the mrs will let me put black borders on it)

any ideas what colour/make/type of paint would give me a decent picture?

many thanks,
stu

MississippiMan

i was impressed by your reply MississippiMan! i've been browsing on here for hours tonight trying to find posts about types/colours of paint for my wall. you sound like you know what your talking about and i would really appreciate it if you could throw some advice my way!

i'll try to include as much info as i can....

.......and I will respond accordingly....but please, don't kill the messenger. :lease:

• Room Dimensions - 3x4m.. not huge. can get about a 90 inch picture from from projector

You can only get that size image with that PJ (some question as to the correct model specification...more below....) by placing the PL virtually embedded in the opposite wall, that is "if" your planning to use one of the 3m walls for the screen, because the minimum distance for the "SP-A400b" to be from a 90" image is 2.987 meters, and you simply must add 10% to that to allow for some focal length "fudge factor".

Not so much an issue if you decide to use the narrow axis route and a 3 meter wall for the screen....except you cannot do what you want at 270 cm (2.7 m) distance. At that distance, 78" is the most you can aspire to. :suicide:

• Lighting conditions when watching - will only be at night, in total darkness (no outdoor lights shine in the house)
Well some good news in that, because you can set and keep your PJ on Low Lamp mode to conserve Bulb Life and help it deliver the deepest contrast (Native) it can muster. PJs always do better in that regard when producing lower lumen levels.

And why? The "SP-A400b" is a 200 lumen machine. At the 90" range on down, that means you have lumens to spare, yet can consider a reflective Gray Screen application. A "Flat Neutral Gray" will look fine on "Normal Lamp" mode.....but "fine" is not the same as "sublime". :smashin:

Well you got the word on mounting requirements/size restrictions above....so if the necessary room arrangement is going to conflict with your plans (ie; wife's plans) if possible...you could place the PJ embedded in the opposite wall in a recessed Cubby Hole. I cannot say how the Samsung intakes/exhausts air under such an arraingements. If it takes in/exhasts out from the front....your Golden. Otherwise, some powered venting would be necessary. (Muffin Fan)
  • Screen size - i think around 90 inches... and its 16:9

:oops: Only under the above conditions with the room on a long axis set-up. You didn't mention as to what wall, so much of the above will be moot of the 3m wall is tapped. The throw distance however will not/cannot be accomodated in any other manner.
  • Painting skills, existing or to be acquired - tbh, no real paint experience.. but i'll give it my best shot.. im very determined!
Well alrighty then......:clap:
You should spray the screen using the Wagner 550 HVLP Electric Gun. It's not expensive at all, and with it's proper use, your resulting Screen surface will be perfection personified.
  • Patience - of a saint

I gotsta ta git me sum o dat! :cool:

• One's level of Desire for whatever level of accomplished performance one wants/expects - im not expecting top quality crystal clear images.. but i'd be happy knowing i got the best possible result from my effort regardless of how it ends up.

Well get a hold of yerself. At 1280 x 768 resolution and 2500:1 Dynamic Contrast, when showing a Sky HD 1080i image, or a 1080i Blu-Ray Film, you will take a backseat to no one if that PJ is producing all those magnificent pixels squished down into a 118cm x 196cm (46" x 77") area. now those measurements are important, because the "SP-A400b" is a 15:9 Native Ratio PJ, so since it DOES NOT scale the image to a correct 16:9 format, you WILL have unused image area to mask off. You commets below have some bearing on that......

i will be mainly watching films on it from my desktop pc, but i will also be hooking sky hd up to if a worthy film is showing. ive got an electrician coming round next week to install everything.. and even install faceplate/connection things for the projector onto the walls so theres no messy wires hanging around.

Interesting stuff. I note you said "onto" not "into", so I might thereby assume your going to "Raceway" the cables on the wall / cieling surface. So much (about 95%) of the construction in the UK is Cinderblock / Brick overlaid with Plaster, and much of the Electrical is surface mounted. However some newer construction / re-models are done with stick Lumber and Plasterboard (Drywall to us Yanks) and if that is you case, and /or you can effect access to the ceiling where the Pj will mount, or "Cubby Hole" the wall because it is a partition affair, you'll have a truely neat, cosmetically oriented installation. Only you know the answer to that at present. I can only hope your situation is optimal. It certainly sounds like you want to do a bang up job of the install. So we/you don't want to hedge on the Screen....it's your window into the world of the "Big Picture Show".

the other walls in the room will be painted a dark colour (brown/gray.. we havent decided yet) and will be painting the wall the projector will be pointing at all the same colour (i dont think the mrs will let me put black borders on it)

No? It's a smallscreen, so you only need a 2 in. Black Velvet wrapped Border trim. Colour-wise, a darker "FLAT Blue Gray" will dress up the room when light is present, but gobble light us if

any ideas what colour/make/type of paint would give me a decent picture?

many thanks,
stu

Still need a bit more response, but I'd lean toward telling you you should go with a advanced formula Metallic Reflective Gray Shade... and adjust your PJs output / calibration accordingly. If you can ramp up the lowely 2500:1 Contrast spec, but not suffer the loss of "Whites' to a Gray's tendency to attenuate reflective light, then you will have the best of both worlds. So.....

Silver Fire w/1.5 oz Colorant

kbfern

Distinguished Member
You can go the experts way with goo or maybe the black widow mix but for ease and no messing just get some clouded slate (25% dark 75% light) which focus will mix for around £10 for 2.5 ltrs.

Then roller straight onto your MDF sheet,two coats will take around 20 mins per coat to apply and leave 2-3 hrs between coats to dry.

I did a screen 8ft x 4ft x 3mm thick pre painted white mdf 1 side and then painted over the white with the clouded slate.When done it has no roller marks and looks great.

The sheet cost around £10 and after the sheet was painted and mounted on the wall I fixed a 2" border of black self adhesive velcro from Dunelm (£10-£15) so total cost around £35 and looks pretty professional and I am no DIYer.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom