• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pain of Salvation-Remedy Lane Review

karkus30

Banned
A few years old now and probably their best album.

First off......no monster/screaming vocals. Daniel Gildenlows voice is similar to Fish from Marillion/Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria.

This is progressive metal, but does not tread the path of Opeth or Tool. It's more soft edged in a similar way to A perfect Circle, Coheed and Cambria or indeed early Dream Theater.

There are some bits on the album that make me cringe a bit, not least the lyrics, maybe I just don't get the theme, but it seems slightly uncomfortable (I will let you judge). There is also one track that nicks the melody line from the old guitar shop standard 'stairway to heaven', it's not too overt and maybe most will never notice.

It's quite a emotional record, the bleakest moment coming in Undertow which is both beautiful and wrenching at the same time. Music goes from short heavy parts with down tuned guitars making my floorboards dance to pretty finger picked acoustic guitars. There are the usual glut of time and tempo changes that characterise progressive metal and plenty of harmonised vocals that simply yell....'Yes-Close to the Edge/Fragile'.

Definitely a consistent album, but a bit of a gear change if you are busy listening to the faster/harder sounds of Opeth, or colder tones and bleakness of Agalloch.

It's taken a couple of listens but I'm coming around to it.

Overall very good 4/5

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom