Pain in elbow when doing bicep curls

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhyAyeMan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows what this could be, i've tried a quick google search but am none the wiser. I did post this elsewhere on another forum i go on, but TBH i'm still none the wiser.

I've just started doing dumbell training, have been doing it a few weeks and have really noticed a difference already in my strength and flexibility, although no aesthetic gains as yet (too early).

However, whenever I do bicep curls, I tend to get a twinge of pain in my elbow, nearly always when i am lowering my arm and getting towards the starting point of the curl. Its quite painful, at times, only seems to occur after i've done a few curls, and only ever in my right elbow for some reason.

By a strange coincidence, I also seem to get a slight pain in a similar fashion in my knee when doing lunges, but again, only ever in my right knee, never the left. And the pain in my knee is not as bad as it is in my elbow.

When I was doing tricep exercises just before, my elbow actually cracked, which hurt quite a bit and i nearly dropped the dumbell on the floor.

Thing is, if I dont get the pain, I know I can do quite a few curls, so I dont think i am overdoing it, or am I?

I always have one day of doing weights followed by a day of rest. Sometimes two days if I am aching more than usual.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be, and how it could be avoided? Should I lower the weight?

Also, on the other place, one member suggested i should rest for a few weeks. As I've just started and I've been feeling better / stronger for it, this doesnt appeal to me - all that work undone.

This pain is your body's natural defense system kicking in and telling you to stop.
:lesson:

I would lay off for a couple of weeks. You have maybe hyperextended a joint or stretched a tendon.

The best advice would be speak to a sports physio if it doesn't go away.

Good luck!

I've had that before. Do you warm up properly? How many sets and reps are you doing? Also what frequency?

I would suggest try using a kambered (EZ) bar as this changes the angle of grip. Or more controlled form. Try 2 seconds up, 4 seconds down. This will hit the muscle hard, but in a different way and will also require use of lower weight.

Of course if it's painful a week or 2 off before trying these ideas would be advised.

I always warm up first.

I think I am going to try and decrease the weight on it. At the moment I am doing 4.5 kg per dumbell, and I can reduce that to 3 kg per dumbell, or if I am a really pussy, I could just do it without the weights on (2 kg).

I think perhaps maybe my muscles are strong enough to lift it, but my elbow is not used to it?

I am doing weights mainly to tone up and lose weight. I dont really wish to be like arnie, so i'm guessing less weight + more reps will be better anyway?

Do a search for "tennis elbow" and "golfers elbow".
One's the inside of the elbow, the other the outside. I can never remember which is which.
You certainly won't be doing it any favours by working it even more.
I used to get a pain in my right shoulder.
I reckon it has now turned into arthritis and is bloody painful.
I'm 45.
As has been said, if it's hurting, stop.

pbirkett said:
I think perhaps maybe my muscles are strong enough to lift it, but my elbow is not used to it?

Muscles gain strength much faster than tendons and cartillage - you need to let them catch up.

I found this out to my cost once when I snapped a pulley on a rock-climbing problem.

If you're looking to tone, you could lose the exercise completely for a while, as any form of rowing movement will put secondary stress onto the biceps and forearms anyway.

Badger0-0 said:
Do a search for "tennis elbow" and "golfers elbow".
One's the inside of the elbow, the other the outside. I can never remember which is which.
You certainly won't be doing it any favours by working it even more.
I used to get a pain in my right shoulder.
I reckon it has now turned into arthritis and is bloody painful.
I'm 45.
As has been said, if it's hurting, stop.
I got this a couple of years ago when I did a fairly intense training regime.
It got too painful to do a lot of the weight training and multi gym stuff.
I went to the doctors. They diagnosed it as "golfers elbow" and told me the same as what Badger says:- one way is called golfers elbow and the other is called tennis elbow.
He told me that to clear it up quickly would require cortisone injections. These can lead to early reumatism and other problems.
He said it is a self healing ailment. In other words, if you stop when you feel any pain, it will clear up eventually but it can take an awful long time.
I gave up the gym two years ago and still get twinges even now with some lifting work.

I should say, I mentioned the Elbow problem because I had it.
Continual use exacerbates the problem.

My shoulder was hurting, but I continued using it big style at work (I basically had no choice).
After a fortnights holiday and 2 weeks out of work, it still hasn't healed.
I really do think I'll have this for the rest of my life :(

Rest it mate :lesson:

As you said, you have been only doing this for a couple of weeks.

If it is still occuring after a couple of months go to the doctors.

Badger0-0 said:
I should say, I mentioned the Elbow problem because I had it.
Continual use exacerbates the problem.

My shoulder was hurting, but I continued using it big style at work (I basically had no choice).
After a fortnights holiday and 2 weeks out of work, it still hasn't healed.
I really do think I'll have this for the rest of my life :(

Rest it mate :lesson:

I had Golfers elbow, which is the one on the inside by the way, it took 3 cortisone injections which is the max they will give you, it may be less now and nearly 2 years to be pain free after stopping what was causing it which was the type of work I was doing at the time. Don't get too paranoid though its not for life, just can seem like it.

pbirkett said:
When I was doing tricep exercises just before, my elbow actually cracked, which hurt quite a bit and i nearly dropped the dumbell on the floor.

If your elbow actually cracked then I think you may have pulled or slightly damaged a tendon. This happened to me while training once, although it didn't hurt much at the time of it happening the next day i could hardly bend my arm due to the pain in my elbow.

I should say that it wasn't weight training though. although it hurt like hell my instructor encouraged me to train through it. Just make sure you use a good elbow support. Mine lasted for about a month then started to ease.

I used to get tennis elbow from playing squash.

Two things helped - ibuprofen gel rubbed into the affected area, and increasing the diameter of my racquet grip. Might work for the dumbells. A thicker grip was not as painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom