Pain & Gain Cinema Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by The News Bot, Aug 29, 2013.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Nothing to be gained in watching this. Just pain.

It takes a fair bit to make you feel sorry for Michael Bay, but Pain and Gain goes out of its way to try to evoke such a feeling. After a trio of Transformers movies bludgeoned audiences into thinking that Bay had little grasp on anything other than giant CGI robots (something which even he has seen decimated by the considerably more impressive Pacific Rim action), the in-your-face action director returns to his smaller-scale roots to do a far more low key drama, one which he managed to squeeze out between blockbusting Transformers instalments.

The intention carried some promise. After all, Bay was returning to his Miami roots - where he debuted with the $19 Million dollar hit Bad Boys, which simultaneously launched the careers of both himself and Will Smith. Pain & Gain was budgeted at little more than that - the second smallest budget in his film history - and he promised it would be a...

Read the full review...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2013
    2. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,181
      Spot on review. Nice one.

3. HighDefSamurai

HighDefSamurai
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +136
      Got my import from DVDWorldUSA last week and watched this a few nights back thought it was okay nothing to write home about I really enjoy Dwayne Johnson in this though he made it enjoyable at parts I was also shocked to see how much muscle Anthony Mackie put on for the role!

Nice Review as always

4. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,637
      Shocked at the high mark tbh ;-) 3 I gave it

5. djpaulc247

djpaulc247
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,445
      Hmmm, I watched the first hour of this the other day and thought it was quite funny and entertaining. Must get worse as the film goes on

6. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,180
      It does. It's tonally fubarred. Watch the rest, see what you think!

7. mentasm

mentasm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,632
      I think it says a lot about Bay that the homoerotic/homophobic elements were entirely fabricated, as were a number of other elements (everything relating to the 'toe' incident for example). The three leads are composites of a much larger gang and many of their exploits differ from their real-life counterparts. In short, very little of what you see on the screen is 'true', despite what the title cards claim. This is Bay's version of the truth, nothing more.

I completely agree about the tone as well. I'd also go so far as to say that the trailer paints completely the wrong impression of the film, bordering on false advertising. The actors are depicted as playing a bunch of loveable dimwits in a silly crime caper, when in fact they are portraying sadistic murderers.

I friend of mine reckons this is Bay's best film - which is damning with faint praise - but I don't agree with that at all. I'm not a big fan of any of his films, but The Rock is far more enjoyable than this.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    8. Glenn01

Glenn01

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,497
      Thanks for the review Cas :thumbsup:

But damn, I had high hopes for this one !

Pumped up Dwayne and Wahlberg shoud have been good ... could have been great.

I really like Dwayne Johnson, he is the nearest thing we have now to Arnie or Sly in their prime and I feel Johnson has wasted countless years doing family friendly stuff instead of concentrating on hard core muscle man stuff like a Commando-esque film.

Great to see him doing Fast & Furious and GI Jo but he seems resistant to go all out and give us fans what we REALLY want from him - before he is too old too !

So again, he has delivered a mediocre movie. Thanks for the review though Cas, at least now I know not to BUY this one - its a renter by the sounds of things. God help those who go to the UK cinema to watch it.

9. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      I have to say I was really looking forward to this mainly on the strength of the cinema trailer which made me laugh every time. Unfortunately I was very disappointed. The three main guys bounced of each other quite well, but ultimately most of the fun was in that trailer.
      Must try harder.

10. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,635
      In general I disagreed with this review. I also don't think a film succeeds or fails based on how close it is to the truth. I want to be entertained so the authenticity was not a concern for me.

It might be I have a particularly sick/dark sense of humour but I was laughing out loud all through this, my wife too although not to the same degree.

It reminded me a little of that awful (but funny) cringe I get when watching some episodes of Breaking Bad. That 'oh no they really didn't just do that' feeling.

Don't get me wrong this film is not great but I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it quite funny, I would give it a 7 which is a fair amount of praise as most 7 scores on AVF I would call a 5. ;)

The one thing I would agree with in this review however is how surprisingly good Dwayne Johnson was.

Adam :)

11. mbmapit

mbmapit

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +429
      Totally agree. I laughed almost all the way through. Bay's best film since Transformers 1 :)

12. Blackbartblues

Blackbartblues

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +31

The problem is when you realise that this is loosely based on a true story - Bay has made comedy of mixed quality out of torture and murder at the hands of people that are still on death row. Can you imagine how the families of the victims feel?

After finishing the movie (courtesy of my Cineworld unlimited card, so no monies lost), I felt a bit cheated by the trailers, which highlighted the comedy caper side of the plot and not the darker story that unfolds later on.

I do agree, however, that the cast was excellent.

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,387
      I liked it a lot aswell. It's far from perfect but I found it very entertaining and funny, for me the chemistry between the 3 leads was enough to carry them through the bumps, but obviously everyone's mileage varies with these things. I didn't expect it to be an accurate portrayal of the real events (even less so than Pearl Harbour given that he's dealing with criminals) and that's exactly what Michael Bay served up; a factually inaccurate and morally dubious portrayal of real events. I enjoyed it for what it was. Most of the bits I found funniest are, undoubtedly, the bits where, if I was sat next to my dear old mum watching it, she'd be slapping my arm and telling me I was "awful" for laughing at them. I guess that puts me in the target demographic that Mr Bay was shooting for (it seems he aimed pretty low ;) ). He's not a classy guy and this is no Goodfella's and if he'd made it any differently I may not have liked it at all. Is it a "good" film? Not in the Lawrence Of Arabia sense, no, maybe not in any sense. But it entertained me consistently for 2 hours and I know I'll be happy to watch it again.
      I'm sure Paramount only financed its low budget because they felt they owed him after all the money he's made for them with Transformers. If they had any confidence in it pulling in a broad audience they'd have been throwing money at him.

Fair play to anyone that doesn't like it though, I know I have a minority viewpoint when I have to go online to find anyone that agrees with it :D