1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paging Spectre : Posting images of hifi/av equipment.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by CJROSS, Feb 19, 2003.

1. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Images of hifi/av equipment on AV Forums.

Rule 9 : Use images from 3rd parties' websites without their permission. Linking to an image on someone else's website without their permission is considered to be bandwidth theft. We have had big problems with people linking to our images without permission and we dont allow members to do the same to other people.

Spectre I just spotted this : so basically posting Any picture from a website/company without getting written/verbal permission from said company is not allowed ? This seems an odd rule to me when most images posted of equipment or components is actually adverstising for the company concerned by satisfied customers in most cases, I can see why this rule would apply if you were being contentious about a product, are you at liberty to divulge what companies have taken humbrage to their images being used on the net ? or what cases you are refferring to above ? Just curious as there seems to be a grey area of what you can/cant post, sounds very close to no iamges at al IMO. Is it not a logical extension of ones opinion ?

BTW Im quite happy for anyone to copy any picture of my stuff on my homepage if it helps any person gets enjoyment from this great hobby of ours.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,613
    You have not read the rule slowly enough ! :)
    The issue here is not one of copyright, it's one of unauthorised bandwidth use.
    If you link to an image on someone else's site so that the image is displayed here directly from that site then each time the image is viewed it is taken from their site and uses some of their allocation of bandwidth & data transfer quota.
    Rather than link directly to the image, copy it (copyright permitting) and paste it onto your own website and link to it there or paste it to your local hard drive and then attach it within your post.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I had spotted that Spectre honest :smashin:, but surely why post pictures on your (ie the companies complaining) website if you are concerned about bandwidth problems. Can you specify who (ie who has made complaints) does not like any images posted ?

So are we to assume that we should post a URL or hyperlink to a page from now on is that the general idea instead of any images that can be displayed on the forum pages?. Still seems that we are actively being discouraged from posting any images at all for example :

A NAD S500i CD player is being discussed before I can post an image of said player I need to email/phone/fax NAD UK and speak to ? lets say head of sales or MD, "excuse me dudester, hows your webpage bandwidth these days, Im just wondering if you would be so kind as to let me post an image from your site on a hifi discussion forum to reccomend your S500i CD player, could i have that in writing with a witness in attendence & their signature too, maybe a contract from your legal team to say we are not crippliing your system" all seems a tad draconian Spectre (IMHO) of course.

Thanks for any clarifications.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    [​IMG]

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Any ideas why images are coming in as URLs Spectre (from my own wesbite) Im using the code as indicated as above.

Just curious ?

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a suggestion, but this is unlikely to be the most frequented forum by Stuart..... you may well be better advised to pm him or at least post in the forum feedback.... which i'll shift you to if you like.

ad

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I have already added this thread to one about the Image rule already in the website feedback forum already Buns, feel free to move it of you want though.

8. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

9. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Well when was it turned off ? BTW here is the forum link to what the image insertion deal is all about, you may like to know Bagpapa that this is being queried in the feedback forum to try and get some feedback from the mods.

Adding Images

To include a picture or graphic within the body of your message, you can simply surround the address of the image as shown here:

[​IMG]

Note that the http:// part of the image URL is required for the code.

You can even create a thumbnail-type hyperlink by surrounding your [img] code with a [url] code like this:

[url=http://www.avforums.com/forums/images/bbtitle.gif][img]http://www.avforums.com/forums/images/vb_bullet.gif[/url]

10. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The various tags can be turned on and off in different forums...

Just seems ironic that you're querying why you can't leech images from other sites in here when you can't actually post them anyway - (whilst the tag remains switched off, that is..)

:devil: