Padfone Infinity - what is Asus smoking?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by NicolasB, Feb 25, 2013.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046
    All kinds of fun stuff coming out of MWC at the moment.

A superficially promising announcement is a new version of the Asus PadFone. In theory it sounds brilliant: it's a top-of-the-line smartphone (Snapdragon S600 chip combined with a 5" 1080p screen) plus a docking station which converts it into a 10.1" tablet - the dock basically contains a screen, larger battery, and almost nothing else, with the phone providing all of the processing power, rear camera, and wireless communication.

Sounds like an awesome idea, until you see the expected price: well over £800. So, basically, you could buy an HTC One or Sony Xperia Z phone, and a Nexus 10 tablet for the same money - which entirely eliminates the point of a device like this even existing. :rolleyes:

They've also announced the FonePad which is a 7" tablet that can actually make phone calls (unlike most tablets). Priced far more reasonably at somewhere around £165, but (annoyingly for me) sporting only a 1280x800 screen rather than something >= full HD.

Sample links:

Asus Padfone Infinity officially announced | News | TechRadar

Asus FonePad is basically a 'phablet' but a lot cheaper than the Padfone | News | TechRadar

2. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    The fonepad I can see the point of, I do wonder why they have matched the specs of the nexus 7 so closely though when no doubt a new one is only months away.

The padfone is just bizarre though, it's a great idea but Asus seem to have screwed it up from day 1, firstly its far too expensive, £800 when the rival phones are £500 means that dock is worth £300... I don't think so, i can get a standalone tablet for less, in fact for £800 you can get a nexus 4,7 & 10. Secondly they aren't releasing it anywhere, you'd think they'd want to sell it but you can't buy the things in shops anywhere, the 2nd rendition made its way a bit further but not to the markets that would spend £800 on a phone. If they got the price down to £600 and released it here I'd be tempted if I was due a new phone.

It's bad though, I am tempted by that fonepad, if I have top change office and travel a bit further I might treat myself to one (or wait and see what the replacement nexus has to say for itself)

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Fonepad - great idea, ridiculous price.

And in fairness its hardly the first concept of its type, we've already had a previous Padfone (which was a bit of a flop AFAICT) and the Motorola Atrix (not overly popular either).