1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packing Projectors away for the summer

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FIZZBIN2003, Apr 26, 2004.

1. FIZZBIN2003

FIZZBIN2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Panasonic Projector is set up in my bedroom which is the top floor of the house and therefore it gets very hot in the summer.
    There are also windows up there which allow in quite a lot of light until late in the evening (south facing I think). I have managed to shield with the use of blinds.

The hot weather over the weekend has reminded me that I'll probably have to disconnect the Projector and put it into storage until the weather gets cooler and the amount of light is at a more reasonable level.

So it's hibernation from May until maybe early September for my AE300. :(

Do other people use their PJs in the summer or just accept that it's one of the disadvantages of our climate? I'm definitely an autumn person and one reason for that is I can watch more movies.

At least I won't wear it out this way....
    :suicide:

2. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny100 kept cool all last summer. That was due to good ventilation below the panny, a auxiliary fan blowing in pre-filtered air, two large heat sinks from Maplins resting on the plastic housing over the lamp, and crude and daft as it may sound a hot-water bottle filled with cold water resting on top ofthe heat sinks.
    Now the heat sinks in July will conduct a lot of heat/energy from the lamp below and by putting a cold filled hot-water bottle on the heat sink add further cooling. I see it like this the heat sinks help absorb the heat from the lamp but cannot heat up the water in the bottle (after several hour the water warms a little but never to the level of the plastic casing without these mods.

I've been think lately that plastic as a casing is a very good insulator and therefore does'nt drain the heat away. This is exacerbated by the fact that there's a air gap between the lamp housing and the plastic cover. Ideally it would be interesting to cut out a two inch diameter hole in the plastic cover just above the lamp housing and drop in a equivlalent sized piece of copper or aluminum which was slightly proud off the plastic cover and rest on the lamp housing itself. The heat sink would contact the copper/aluminum insert which in turn would touch the lamp housing and thus the heat would immediatley conduct right through to the cold water bottle placed on top.
    I know it all sounds very Heath Robinson but it would work a treat at lengthening lamp life by running cooler.
    The only caveat maybe the lamp housing won't like the heat differential and blow up!

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Air con and blackout blinds = all year round projector use :D

4. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    I'm sure projector's are used effectively in hotter places than old blighty. Go on, take it out, it'd be a shame to spend a grand on equipment that you don't use :)

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Fizzbinn...........

Unless you really don't want to watch movies during the summer, there's no need to pack it away.................... just open the window..... a reasonable amount of ventilation (as long as the projector is not in an enclosed space like a cupboard) will enable the projector to operate well within it's design parameters. My movie room gets the sun from 2pm onwards and has a large window - can get quite hot and stuffy during the summer...... open the window and everything is fine........

I'll refrain from commenting (again!) on LTJ's (unique?) arrangement... hope you're keeping well, L :hiya: .

Sean G.

6. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm keeping very well Sean and thanks for asking. I trust things are good with you?

I'll be much better though when I can finally get my hands on something like the Sim Domino DVI input and all that. But I'm frightened , very frightened. You see I can't leave things alone, and before to long I'll have the thing apart and thats potentially
    triumph or trouble time. Some please help me!

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mmmm. Sounds a bit Ott to me. I have a loft viewing room. Ok it has only just been built but I have had a loft bedroom before.

Personally I have a velux and a window into my main room in the loft. Both have black out blinds.

And I mean black out blinds. Light really is not a factor. Yes lofts are hot in the summer. But a fan and open window soon sorts the problem out. Hibernation is not an option.

For gods sake man the footballs on !

8. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Years ago in the Film Industry we used water cooled carbon arc lamps (these lamps drew 150 amps)
    I'm sure a similar system could be applied to projectors and keep your tropical fish happy at the same time. :D

9. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Jeff engineering is always trying to resolve the issue of heat as a side product of energy. In the world of PC's water cooling to optimise maximum effeciency of the processor is become increasingly common. I'm not to sure whether the close proximity
    of the lamp and it's subsequent heat output, that causes problems with the 'polarisers' or just the light itself? Saying that though how polarised sun glasses have worn out?. If its purely down to heat damage than cooling should/will increase longevity>

10. FIZZBIN2003

FIZZBIN2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well summer is finally (please) ending! :clap:

And I can again look forward to using my Panasonic Projector. It's been so long since I used it (April/May) that I can't even remember what type it is - think it's the AE300.

Are there any dangers to starting a LCD projector up after so many months "resting"?

I've had it 9 months and I have 52 hours of use on the bulb so should be a lot of life left in it yet.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have been using mine throughout. The viewing room has black out blinds no problems at all using in broad daylight.

Put 400 hours on it since March + another 176 hours on a loan unit whilst it was being repaired.

We dont even use the Plasma anymore :blush:

12. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have left it out fizzbin,would have given you something to do during all that rain :rotfl: I'm with you HarrisUK,a blackout blind and fan sort out the loft room nicely :smashin: