Packet Loss / Tenda Nova port forwarding

samharris26

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning,

First apologies if this isn’t the right area to post.

I’ve been having some issues with packet loss when playing Warzone. Last night it was around 35% which just made it unplayable.

I read online that you can try port forwarding however on the Tenda Nova mesh (MW6) it doesn’t let you add a range of ports so I’d have to add over 80 manually, is there another option?!

I checked the useage during gameplay and nothing else was drawing data from the Mesh system at the time.

Other research suggests getting a VPN?

Is it the on-screen display that is telling you have packet loss?

How have you identified its the mesh and not an issue with your ISP?

I have had packet loss before with VM and it has been down to bad cabling.

Yeah the onscreen overlay, and the fact the game was just jumping around. Getting killed by people that weren’t even on my screen, watch the kill
Cam back and they have been stood there shooting me for ages!

Haven’t identified it’s the mesh, just guessing my download speed was over 300mb so seems okay, but it is VM. How did you discover bad cabling?

Thanks for the reply.

Super Hub 4? Apparently it is an equipment issue. They had something similar with the super hub 3 that took an age to fix.

Ah ok yes so if you are with VM and the power levels are off then this can cause the issues you describe. Downstream will often seem fine but gaming and conference calls can be badly affected.

Often it's a problem with the upload rather than download that can give you this but either way we can check.

If you have got the Super Hub in normal mode then you should go the IP address of your router which is normally 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 if in modem only mode) but don't log in, click the router stats below.

It should then show a number of tabs including upstream and downstream. If you look at the upstream and downstream you will see a series of channels with frequencies and power levels along with pre and post errors.

Post back on here what you see and we advise as to what that means.

Super hub 3 by the looks of Google. It’s in modem mode at the moment and then Tenda as the mesh.

Ah ok yes so if you are with VM and the power levels are off then this can cause the issues you describe. Downstream will often seem find but gaming and conference calls can be badly affected.

Often it's a problem with the upload rather than download that can give you this but either way we can check.

If you have got the Super Hub in normal mode then you should go the IP address of your router which is normally 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 if in modem only mode) but don't log in, click the router stats below.

It should then show a number of tabs including upstream and downstream. If you look at the upstream and downstream you will see a series of channels with frequencies and power levels along with pre and post errors.

Post back on here what you see and we advise as to what that means.
Will do, in the office today so will post this evening.

Should I do this whilst the game is open, or just whenever?

You need to establish the packet loss is on your line or not. It will affect any web connection you make.

You can run a ping test at the command line to see if you have lost packets.

"Open a command prompt, type ping bbc.co.uk (or desired website address)"

If ping test reports lost packets, contact your service provider and they will have to fix the faulty line.

Good luck

You need to establish the packet loss is on your line or not. It will affect any web connection you make.

If ping test reports lost packets, contact your service provider and they will have to fix the faulty line.

Good luck
Thank you, will try this too.

Will do, in the office today so will post this evening.

Should I do this whilst the game is open, or just whenever?

Ok, it will be a constant issue so whenever.

Also worth monitoring your connection with a Broadband Quality Monitor from ThinkBroadband as that will show you when you have issues if they are intermittent or not.

Ok, it will be a constant issue so whenever.

Also worth monitoring your connection with a Broadband Quality Monitor from ThinkBroadband as that will show you when you have issues if they are intermittent or not.
Thanks for the help. Will check the packet loss this evening and also take a look at the quality monitor.

Thanks again.

Good luck
Sorry just wondering; I don’t have any speed issues with videos or websites loading, so is this still likely to show lost packets?

So I've done a few of the things suggested:

• I've set up a Broadband Quality Monitor
  • Done a ping test from cmd line which returned no lost packets (tested bbc.co.uk)
  • Grabbed the data from the Virgin Hub (in modem mode) see attached, shaded grey is downstream.
    Router-data.jpg

What time of day are you playing? If late at night you could be being dumped into US servers

All the numbers are within tolerances though the upstream ones are close to the upper limit of 51dBmV but should be ok.

The BQM should be up and running now and you should see activity (if it's red then you enable to enable WAN ping on the mesh router).

If there are no red lines at the top then check after you have played the game for a bit to see if you are seeing packet loss on that as well as the game.

You don't happen to use a custom DNS do you ?

All the numbers are within tolerances though the upstream ones are close to the upper limit of 51dBmV but should be ok.

The BQM should be up and running now and you should see activity (if it's red then you enable to enable WAN ping on the mesh router).

If there are no red lines at the top then check after you have played the game for a bit to see if you are seeing packet loss on that as well as the game.

You don't happen to use a custom DNS do you ?

So played for a little tonight, and only had packet loss in one game, around 9:30 which seems to be where this yellow spike is here:

Not sure if that tells you anything?

I don't use a custom DNS, it's just set to 'Auto'

So there is no packet loss there apart from the initial red line at the start which was probably where you were enabling it.

The red lines come down from the top to the bottom and correspond to the right-hand graph scale.

The yellow lines are the latency that will increase with load in this case particularly on your upstream traffic. So if you were doing a cloud backup for example you would see the yellow typically increase.

Something else seems to be at fault.

So there is no packet loss there apart from the initial red line at the start which was probably where you were enabling it.

The red lines come down from the top to the bottom and correspond to the right-hand graph scale.

The yellow lines are the latency that will increase with load in this case particularly on your upstream traffic. So if you were doing a cloud backup for example you would see the yellow typically increase.

Something else seems to be at fault.
Thanks for your help. I will keep that monitor up over the next week or so and see if there's any patches of red. I've also spoke to Virgin as were supposed to get 600mb but last two tests are below 200mb.

Have requested new hub too.

Thanks for your help. I will keep that monitor up over the next week or so and see if there's any patches of red. I've also spoke to Virgin as were supposed to get 600mb but last two tests are below 200mb.

Have requested new hub too.

Have you ever had the 600Mb work properly on a speedtest?

On one of the other tabs there is the actual sync speed, which will be in bytes without any commas so its not immediately obvious but check to make sure it is higher than 600Mb. (Can't remember the exact value though and the SH4 has a bug which forgets its settings so I can't check my own without a reboot)

Have VM done a test on your "line"\equipment to eliminate any other faults?

Have you ever had the 600Mb work properly on a speedtest?

On one of the other tabs there is the actual sync speed, which will be in bytes without any commas so its not immediately obvious but check to make sure it is higher than 600Mb. (Can't remember the exact value though and the SH4 has a bug which forgets its settings so I can't check my own without a reboot)

Have VM done a test on your "line"\equipment to eliminate any other faults?

I think the max we've had is about 350mb.

Not sure if this is the right data?

SFID
142994​
Max Traffic Rate
690000278​
Max Traffic Burst
42600​
Min Traffic Rate
0​

I'm trying to get hold of them at the moment, as all their 'online virtual tests' report no faults.

Is your PC hard wired or using wifi

I think the max we've had is about 350mb.

Not sure if this is the right data?

SFID
142994​
Max Traffic Rate
690000278​
Max Traffic Burst
42600​
Min Traffic Rate
0​

I'm trying to get hold of them at the moment, as all their 'online virtual tests' report no faults.

Just to check are you doing the tests wired or wireless as the latter won't normally get close to the 600Mbps.

690000278 = 690,000,278 bytes /1,024^2 = 658Mbps (Virgin always go over to make sure they meet the advertised speed)

Is there a separate value for upstream?

Hard wired via cat6 in to mesh node.

But does that mesh node have a wireless hop back to the one plugged into the router?

If so that will be the bottleneck and you should try hardwired direct into the base one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom