1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packard Bell TV-100 / Philips SAA7130 problems (with dscaler)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by gyre, Sep 9, 2003.

1. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks.

I'm having several problems with my PB TV-100/Lifevideo 2000/SAA 7130-based card and dscaler.

I've got a lovely clean signal from my Sky Digibox coming in via the s-video socket... but the full-screen display seems far less sharp than on my TV. Far too soft.

(this really is a s-video signal, not composite, as I run it through a good quality rgb2svideo converter).

Have you seen this problem with this card? If so, what did you do about it?

Additionally... do you get lip sync problem with this card and dscaler? I find the sound can happen anything up to 1/3 of a second before the lips move to make it.

Is this still the best value-for-money card to sample s-video, or has another card taken its place? I don't want tuner ability... just to watch the s-video signal on the PC with the best possible quality.

Thanks!!!

-- gyre --

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I don't have any sync problems with Dscaler : I imagine there is a slight delay but its not objectionable certainly not 1/3 of a second.

A Dscaler image will look softer compared with the same image displayed on a TV: there is no helping it. Scaling is only ever so good ( not really Dscalers fault its more down to the graphics card).
    Try dropping the resolution on your desktop.

3. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, I do find that displaying in smaller windows makes it look sharper. Does dscaler let me use a different resolution than the desktop for full-screen displays?

My PC spec is a P4 @ 2.9Ghz, with a Geforce 4 ti 4600. Not a slow pc... so I'm puzzled why I'm finding lip sync problems with this card.

Is there a way of seeing what the frame delay is in dscaler?

I'm very happy for any suggestions on how to proceed. :)

Thanks folks.

-- gyre --

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Well I do tend to use the audio direct from the source to the amp... not sure if you are pulling it in through the soundcard to your PC or not.

I think the latest version of Dscaler has switchable resolutions: however I don't use them I run everything at 854x480 on my ae100 anyway.

Failing that if you don't want to change resolutions the only way of lowering the res is to make the overlay window smaller.

There is also the sharpening filter in Dscaler which I don't personally use .

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got a shuttle with a Fly Video card running DScaler, the audio comes in via my AV Processor (both Audio and S-Video signal are sent via Cat 5) into on board sound, no delays here at all.

In another PC I use a H3D card and before I chaged mobo to a TUSLC-2 I had lipsync issues. Some boards just seem to have problems. Have you tried changing PCI slots? Sometimes that can help.

Steve

6. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve. I also send audio and video via cat 5 and pipe the sound into the on board audio chip.

Will try using another slot and see what breaks :)

Is there another recommended s-video capture card in this group?

-- gyre --

7. gyre

gyre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to say... I don't get lip sync when looking at a recording I've made with virtualdub+vcr... just when displaying the card data in real time with dscaler and similar programs.

Most odd. :)

-- gyre --