Packard Bell Easy 80 HDD DVD Recorder (Divx)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ferris57, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Packard Bell Easy Dvd HDD recorder ( ehr80 ) from a friend at the weekend and I'm delighted with it. I was reluctant at first as I couldn't find any reviews (the only ones I could find where for the dreadful 2080 which put me off) so I thought I'd post my thoughts on it in case anyone's interested or just looking for a cheap divx capable hdd dvd recorder. It's an old model though so ebay's your best bet for finding one.

It Records to dvd-r/rw, dvd+r/rw and of course it's 80gb HDD. It plays all dvd, dvd-r/rw, dvd+r/rw, Divx (divx 6 not supported, but it still plays just without advanced features like menus etc), Xvid, mp3 and jpg that I've thrown at it perfectly.

6 recording quality settings (HQ, SP, SP+, EP,LP, SLP). Good dubbing times to dvd.

Simultaneous record and play and no need to be in standby for a recording to start, which seems harder to find than you might think. 3 Hour continual buffer which is very handy. Prog scan, dv in, usb in, component and rgb scart. Multiregion handset code so no probs making it multiregion.

All in all excellent, even more so as I only paid £100 for it! though they're only about ~£130 delivered on ebay with a warranty (refurbished) or ~£160 for the 250gb version (which I prob would have bought had I known at the time).

As for negatives there aren't many. It's got a crap remote. Editing is limited to splitting and segmenting files, so just splitting bewteen dvd's and editing out ads really. It's noisy and the fan runs all the time. About the same as a pc, which is fine if it's in a lounge or in a cabinet but in a small bedroom it would be distracting. It's also got quite a steep learning curve and the interface isn't very intuitive. Once you get the hang of it, it's fine though.

I was going to buy a panasonic 530h and a cheap divx player but I've just saved myself at least £200! ok it's not got quite the recording/playback quality of the 530h but for my purposes it's great and best of all it's one player under my tv instead of 2. Deffinately my best bargain of the year so far.

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Been asked about a hack for this, so in case anyone else needs it:

PRESS SETUP
    THEN FOLLOWD BY THE REGION NUMBER : 0 (MULTI) E.T.C
    IF YOU WANT TO CANCEL IT : RESTORE TO FACTORY SETTINGS

Taken from videohelp.com and confirmed by me :)

3. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Thanks. I just updated my firmware and it reverted to R2. I was looking for the hack.

4. mad_matt

mad_matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Any one know why all the remotes (Sky, TV etc) keep turning this piece of kit on? I assume its a code problem!

Thanks