Packaging on R1 LOTR extended

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Just curious if it's as flimsy and throwaway as the region 2 4-disc digipack set I saw in WH Smiths today.
Not the collectors set with the bookends (I know that's got a more hardwaring case to it), but the ""normal" cheaper version.
Anyone have an opinion?
 

Barrovian

Well-known Member
Originally posted by Rambo John J
Just curious if it's as flimsy and throwaway as the region 2 4-disc digipack set I saw in WH Smiths today.
Not the collectors set with the bookends (I know that's got a more hardwaring case to it), but the ""normal" cheaper version.
Anyone have an opinion?

I got the R2 Collectors Ed today. It's got the digipack stuck between the bookends. Which more hard waring case have you seen? I must admit, I expected the 4 disc version to come in the same strange 'double size' plastic case that was used for early copies of Blade 2, as that's an EIV release as well.
 
K

KRRK

Guest
That early Blade 2 case is possibly the worst case I have ever come accross. I nearly wept when I opened it.
 
J

Jpfahy

Guest
Can someone please post pics of the different packaging?

I thought the 4-disc editions all came with the same case, with the bookends being the only difference.....
 

Setenza

Well-known Member
I have the R1 4 disc set. It comes in a fairly robust digipack (and although I do not like them, it's not what i would call flimsy). This then fits in a sturdy cardboard slip cover, designed to look like a hardback book.

The slip cover is quite strong and has withstood international and UK shipping quite well.

As far as I am aware the design for both R1 & R2 are the same, but whether they are manufactured to the same standard, is another matter.
 

the_pauley

Banned
The graphic design is the same but the construction differs.

The Region 2 box is the flimsy thin cardboard type, the kind where you can pull out the flap and fold it flat if you wished. The Region 1 is a sturdier, rigid, non collapsable thick card with gold tooling embossed into the surface so it more resembles the leather bound book it is meant to.

The effect of the antique book is further enhanced by the lack of BBFC certificate on the spine,
 
J

Jpfahy

Guest
Okay, but is there any difference between the Special Edition & Collectors Edition on R2?
 

Lex

Active Member
The Region One is without doubt (IMO) the best DVD packaging to date - it looks absolutley gorgeous, so much thought & attention has gone into its design & construction. Great picture discs & superb animated menus.
If only all DVDs could be this good!
 

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by Jpfahy
Okay, but is there any difference between the Special Edition & Collectors Edition on R2?

Yup, that was why I posted this. The R2 4 disc set (without the bookends) is a thin card digipack same as the UK Predator set or the US Unbreakable digipack. The Collectors set with the bookends has a much sturdier constuction and looks far nicer than the 4 disc set. That's from comparing them in a shop anyway.

If the Region 1 package is thicker then it sounds like it's along the same lines as the R1 Fightclub slipcase which is pretty thick and durable.
Nice. Thanks.
 

DodgeTheViper

Moderator
Originally posted by the_pauley
The graphic design is the same but the construction differs.

The Region 2 box is the flimsy thin cardboard type, the kind where you can pull out the flap and fold it flat if you wished. The Region 1 is a sturdier, rigid, non collapsable thick card with gold tooling embossed into the surface so it more resembles the leather bound book it is meant to.

The effect of the antique book is further enhanced by the lack of BBFC certificate on the spine,

The outer sleeve is also pressed to give a leather effect...............gorgeous..........:D

Kev
 

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom