Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Watched this last week. It makes the first film look like a towering intellectual exercise. It's is garbage. Even the effects sequences aren't as impressive as the first film. The whole thing looks and feels like a kids movie, but not a good kids movie.

Boyega's performance is awful - though I blame the director for this - the character just comes across as idiotic early on. Scott Eastwood continues to look spookily like his dad, yet he has none of the charisma, he's like a block of wood with a photo of his dad nailed to it.

6/10 for me at most.

Basically it's a Transformers movie, the cgi wasn't up to scratch, and as good as he is, I'm suffering from an overdose of John Boyega.

6/10 is waaaay too generous.

I’ve decided I really can’t stand John Boyega, his acting skills make the cast of the great escape look good!!

I didn’t think much of the sound track either, didn’t think it was a patch on the original.

4/10 for the film for me.

one huge benefit is that the grand setpieces are almost always set in broad daylight, where you can finally revel in the immense scale of the action without scratching your head as to what exactly is going on.

The film definitely has more of a Transformers style than Del Toro's original, not least in its visuals, but the biggest benefit to this is that there's none that bathed-in-darkness-and-rain that dominated the first film which, whilst not beneficial to the lighter tone of the movie, definitely makes it easier to appraise in terms of visual opulence.
All of the daylight scenes are one area where the movie fell down imo. Gone is the intense HDR which characterised the original movie with the contrast between the blasts of the weapons, the blue neon Kaiju features, and the black sky; replaced by daylight which shows up the CGI as often sub par especially the Sydney sequence.

Last edited:
Ive tried to watch this 4 times but can only last 5 or 10 mins. Terrible film which is just aimed at the Japanese audience and cant stand John Boyega, he's really naff in everthing .

A 2 for £30 purchase for me.

Always enjoy reading Cas reviews. But films are getting high marks recently Mission Impossible getting a 10.

This for me is a 4 as a film also not impressed with the cgi I give it 6 total

Last edited:
Wow a lot of haters lol.
I think Cas's review was spot on in terms of the Transformers reference, also Boyega needed a better director, he is no Idris Elba and he needed to be told that. But to be fair to him, the script seems to have been written to create an Elba lite character even though he kept saying he is not his father.

China is rapidly becoming the number 1 movie market and boy are hollywood going for it. It's bordering on sycophantic to be honest.

As for the disc, the resulting picture quality from HDR and WCG on my TV is absolutely stunning. Yet other 4k films that are meant to be stunning are merely excellent.

Overall I really enjoyed it. To me it's what Transformers should have been so I'm fine with that.
I understand Cas's review numbers for the film but I would swap the picture and audio numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound is not even a patch on the first one. Mid bass movie at best. Btw, I watched this after revisiting the Jerusalem and Grenade attack scenes in World War Z which are sonic monsters.

Hopefully I will get my hmv steelbook today, Monday. So if the movie is that bad what should I watch first 4k or 3d, bearing in mind I might only watch the movie once:D I will also be watching via my xbox one x, were I might have 4k issues or for 3d I will have to go into the settings and switch everything of (4k wise) to be able to watch in 3d, is the effort going to be worth it:rotfl:

Seriously, as long as there is a lot of action and it looks good, I will easily watch it twice.

Wow a lot of haters lol.
I think Cas's review was spot on in terms of the Transformers reference, also Boyega needed a better director, he is no Idris Elba and he needed to be told that. But to be fair to him, the script seems to have been written to create an Elba lite character even though he kept saying he is not his father.

China is rapidly becoming the number 1 movie market and boy are hollywood going for it. It's bordering on sycophantic to be honest.

As for the disc, the resulting picture quality from HDR and WCG on my TV is absolutely stunning. Yet other 4k films that are meant to be stunning are merely excellent.

Overall I really enjoyed it. To me it's what Transformers should have been so I'm fine with that.
I understand Cas's review numbers for the film but I would swap the picture and audio numbers.

It's become the latest craze on the forum,moan about the reviewer, moan about the movies moan about the prices,moan about P/Q / S/Q.
Moan Moan Moan Moan
:thumbsdow

I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would, but then I have the capacity to lower my IQ by three figures and drool out of both sides of my mouth at the same time. Which said, the film is harmless, idiotic, bold, brash, moronic nonsense and I need that from time to time.

One day Hollywood might wake up and realise that Boyega is a total non-talent hated by the entire universe, a man whose presence turns everything into a black hole. I am sure that the baseless rumour it was necessary to hire an acting coach to get him through whichever Jedi-related film, hence complicating its production with reshoots etc., is just that, a baseless rumour.

Last edited:
Hopefully I will get my hmv steelbook today, Monday. So if the movie is that bad what should I watch first 4k or 3d, bearing in mind I might only watch the movie once:D I will also be watching via my xbox one x, were I might have 4k issues or for 3d I will have to go into the settings and switch everything of (4k wise) to be able to watch in 3d, is the effort going to be worth it:rotfl:

Seriously, as long as there is a lot of action and it looks good, I will easily watch it twice.
The 3D is said to be OK but not great. The colours, detail and contrast on the 4k mean it's probably the way to go on this one.

i think a lot of you "older" guys tend to forget that you are not the target audience for these movies and hence slate the flick for not living upto "your" expectations, my 7y.o. absolutely loves it and has watched it quite a few times, i don't mind it, its fluff and as such i view it as fluff and don't turn a critical eye to it

i think a lot of you "older" guys tend to forget that you are not the target audience for these movies and hence slate the flick for not living upto "your" expectations, my 7y.o. absolutely loves it and has watched it quite a few times, i don't mind it, its fluff and as such i view it as fluff and don't turn a critical eye to it
I liked it! I guess I must be a very advanced 7 y.o. I've even started shaving already :p

The 3D is said to be OK but not great. The colours, detail and contrast on the 4k mean it's probably the way to go on this one.

My copy arrived just now. The 4k disc worked on my xbox one x, doesn't mean it will play next time:D 3d on the other hand, i couldn't get my tv to auto change to 3d when i started up the disc. Changed the settings on xbox, switched off 4k, hdr etc just kept 3d on, changed auto detect to hdmi but i couldn't get my tv to auto switch to 3d, lg c6. Tried out my old Panasonic dmp bdt 320, 3d player and it auto switched to 3d straight away.

I haven't seen the film but i thought i would chose a chapter with a bit of action, so i chose chapter 10. The snow at the start looked 3d, almost popping out of the screen, xbox got nowhere near it with the 2d-3d conversion on my tv.

Will probably watch it later in the week, 4k disc, xbox one x, turtle beach x800 headphones.

I'm 44 and I loved this movie. Just as much as the first one at least. I laughed, I cried, I jumped off my seat, all within the duration of one film...Can't ask more than that!

Reads like a £1.99 sale rental on iTunes, sometime around Christmas, for me.

Thanks for the review guys.

Sound is not even a patch on the first one. Mid bass movie at best. Btw, I watched this after revisiting the Jerusalem and Grenade attack scenes in World War Z which are sonic monsters.

See now i'm gonna have to watch World War Z again after you mentioned those scenes!! :)

See now i'm gonna have to watch World War Z again after you mentioned those scenes!! :)

same here lol i ended up youtubing the clips last night

You won't be disappointed if you have a capable HT gear (sub mainly) and be warned it can potentially damage your SUB if you play it way too loud. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom