1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PaceTwin PVR - Custom 'Arcam Black' Paint Job

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by flexiondotorg, Jun 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

I have been having some fun this evening and I thought I would share :)

I am currently putting a small home cinema together and my wife has design and styling requirements I have to adhere to, the most important being everything has to be black. The only device which is being kept from our existing equipment is our PaceTwin PVR. We love it. Yes, sometimes it doesn't love us back, but we can't live without it. However, it is Silver. How dare it!

So, I decided to give it a make over to match my new (black) Arcam DV78 and AVR250. I doubt there is anyone else out there anal enough to do this, but here is how if you are interested...

1. Dis-assemble the PaceTwin.

I am sure this detail is not required, it is very easy to do.

- Remove the 7 screws holding the lid in place (2 on each side and 3 at the back) and remove the lid.

- Now remove the 4 screws along the top of the facia which connect it to the main body, then you can move the facia away from the body of the PVR although it will still be attached by some wires.

- Unscrew the 6 small screws which hold the LED/button circuit board to the back of the facia, now you can seperate the circuit board from the facia.

- Remove the buttons from the facia, we want to keep those Silver to match the Arrcam styling.

- Pop out the plastic window which covers the LED. You will need to push the window from the rear of the facia to remove it.

At this point you should have the lid and facia seperated from the body of the PVR.

The PaceTwin PVR in Bits
    [​IMG]

2. Cleaning

Use some warm water with detergent and a clean cloth to clean the lid and facia thoroughly. This is very important! If you leave any greasy finger prints or dust behind the spray paint won't take which leaves a patchy finish. Dry the lid and facia with a clean, dry, cloth.

3. Spray Painting

The is the fun bit :thumbsup: I used a can of Halfords Satin Black Spray Paint, which is £4.99 a can. Apply thin coats to the lid and facia leaving 15 minutes between coats. Make sure you get an even covering on the inside and outside of the lid and facia, especially on the lid so the the grills don't have any Silver edges showing.

The Lid in Satin Black
    [​IMG]

4. Re-assemble the PaceTwin

Although each coat is touch dry in 15 minutes, wait at least 2 hours after the last coat before re-assembling. I sprayed the 7 screws, which hold the lid in place, black too.

The Finished Article

Here is the finished article sitting on top of my Arcam DV78. As you can see the PaceTwin facia is a bit darker than the DV78 facia, but they won't be sitting directly on top of each other in my rack so I doubt this difference will be very noticeable. Maybe using something like Graphite for the facia may have been a closure match, but I am very happy with the end result.

Side View
    [​IMG]

Head On
    [​IMG]

Outstanding Jobs

As I have sprayed over the facia I have lost the 'Rec', 'TV1/TV2' and 'Menu' text above those buttons. I will need to stencil those back on, but as I have never used the front buttons on the PaceTwin I may not bother.

Sorry some of the pictures are blurred, I might try and take some better ones at some point. Just goes to show you can end up doing the strangest of jobs when you install your own home cinema setup ;)

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi you may wish to know the DiVA front paint is derived from Merc. 7164 Deep Dark Grey Metalic. We had it slightly reformulated for the Diva front and the finish behind the paint will significantly affect its colour. We paint onto prepared aluminium, however the Merc paint would probably get you much closer to a match than a plain black.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy! I have two fairly long scratches on the face plate of my black AVR300. What is the best way to re-touch these?

4. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info, if I ever find myself needing to spray paint any other components to match my Arcam equipment I will bear it in mind ;-) You guys at Arcam really do read these forums don't you? Getting advice on custom paint jobs?! Now that is customer support! :thumbsup:

5. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You never know - with the new 'paint job' that the unit might be more reliable, with a different identity :D

6. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Only if I stencil the Arcam logo on the front!

Andy Dutton has peaked my interest, so I am seeking a broken PaceTwin to see if I can perfect that paint job as per his advice. Here is my 'Wanted' post...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1729080

Next time I am out shopping should, I think I should buy a life ;-)

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    After about 4-6 weeks the paint should have cured (outgassed) you could then use a mild polish or glaze followed by a wax or sealant to enhance the paint

8. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    In the week or so that has elapsed since the initial spray painting the colour has evened out nicely. The photos were taken about 2 hours after the final coat was applied. I will keep your advice in mind when I re-rack the kit in a few weeks :)