Pace V2 Sky+ box.....should the fan be noisy?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by leedebs, Oct 13, 2005.

1. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    As title guys?
    Had a V2 about 2 months now, absolutely love sky+ & so does the missus :smashin: but recently noticed that sometimes during the evening the fan comes on & er well it's quite loud : :mad: seems to stay on for about 10 to 20 mins & then is perfectly silent :clap: it does this sometimes 3 or 4 times over a 5 hour period. Is this normal & should the fan be quite noisy? Noise is subjective I know but anyone have a view on this?
    FWIW when I had the Amstrad there was NO fan noise, but that was :thumbsdow for other reasons!

2. paraboy

paraboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    same thing with me the fan is really noisy not a bad complaint considering the 2 amstrads I had previously were totally useless.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    usually the fan will speed up if the unit is getting hotter (ie doing more work, mebbe it comes on more when you are recording two things while watching a recording etc)...
    is it near a radiator? or has little ventilation around its sides?

however it will still sound like a normal fan....if tho its sounding like a rumble as well then the fan is probably on the way out (assuming its a ball bearing fan).....

4. anov24

anov24
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here. Not sure if it is the fan operating though, it could be? or even the hard disk? it seems to start for no particular reason mostly when the unit isn't recording. The unit is well vented, It certainly isn't mechanical/bearing related. It just seems to whirr away into the night.
    My missus keeps commenting on it and I not sure which is more annoying, the whirring or her droneing!

5. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have an Amstrad! And wait for it.....without complaint, well none of the frequently reported problems.
    However I have experienced the intermittant "whirring" noise described in this thread. I too put it down to the fan. I noticed however that when I placed my hand on the box itself the noise stopped, which suggested to me that although it was related to the fan running it was in fact merely causing something else within the unit to vibrate (not sufficient however to start dismantling the box or calling out Sky). I figured that by applying some light pressure to the unit the noise would stop so I moved the unit back on it's shelf so that the Scart cable was up against the rear support of the hi-fi rack (it's a 3 legged rack) and it worked the noise is no longer. I also think but haven't got round to trying it yet that rubber pads under the unit may also stop the vibration.

Try it! :thumbsup:

6. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Have tried this already tbh, makes no difference on my Pace box.
    Seems I am not alone then. Wonder why some users report no noise & others notice it, is this like the buzz from plasmas ie: some people are more sensitive to the noise than others or is it the environment of the room it's situated?
    As the Pace is very reliable & I have no other problems then I am loathed to do anything atm.
    Probably live with the noise tbh don't wanna go through a swap out & get maybe more problems :rolleyes: