Pace unwatachable - answer...

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Neil Fellows, Sep 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For those of you who followed my previous, now removed post regarding the ‘Pace Twin now unwatchable’ due to some strange reception problem - here’s the answer.

You won’t believe it - but stay with me on this. Outside my house there is a long row of lamp posts. At night, they come on automatically (as lamp posts do). Apart from one.

Now, it appears that this little lamp post in the distance spends it’s nights going on and off randomly, whenever it feels like it. And here’s the answer - when it’s on, so it my digital Tv. When its off, so is my picture. Honest.

This explains all my problems - Tv is fine during the day (when its light) and only plays up at night. I’ve checked with the BBC website, and the screen shots of TV’s with electrical interference matches mine perfectly.

So there you go! Thanks for all the help from you guys previously, and sorry I hastled you all with this. No idea what I’m going to do now though!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    Right: An interesting answer and quite plausible. I'm guessing that this is a discharge lamp of some type. If it's deep yellow, low pressure sodium; salmon(ish) and it's high pressure sodium; pale violet and it's mercury. Anyhow, when they flash on and off it's because the bulb or the driver (ballast) has failed. The lamp driver keeps trying to restart the lamp. It seems quite plausible that the lamp ballast is chucking out some excessive RF interference when it's starting the lamp - which it's doing every 2 or 3 minutes.

Get on to the council and have them repair it.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Chainsaw!!!

4. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I favour the chainsaw theory, myself. Asking a local council to come out and repair something is like waiting for the next ice age. Then they would introduce Lamp post Tax on top of my council bill. Or send round 5 workmen from 5 different contracted companies to stand and look at it for 5hrs then go away leaving it broke, only later to produce an evaluation report on ‘The sustaining of Local lighting Amenities with relation to Audio and Visual devices in the neighbourhood’.

Ok, seriously, I am glad you have verified this as a possibly cause, Nigel. I will try to contact the council, but fear that the lights are privately owned, as they are in fact on the edge of a retail park. I have a friend who’s an electrician, so I’ll ask him about shielding the reception somehow from electrical interference.

5. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    If a direct approach fails, then you could report the perpetrator to the official body. At one time, it was the Post Office who were responsible. I suspect that nowadays it's OFCOM. I believe it's illegal to create electromagnetic radio interference.

6. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nigel, that's an intresting point, and worth keeping in mind if they indeed do refuse to fix it. Do you know of any way to sheild my aeriel / system from it, if this happens again?

7. barkeral

barkeral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for the record:

I've got a street lightdirectly outside my house which behaves similarly to that described - fortunately for me it seems to have no effect on my Twin. However my aerial is on the oposite side of the house pointing away from the street light.

Probably irrelevant to the discussion, but thought I'd mention it.

8. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    It may be possible to place some sort of RF interference filter in the aerial line.

Go to http://www.maplin.co.uk/ and search for "rf interference filter" for some alternatives. I can't comment on how effective any of them might be.

Sorry if you knew this already, but it needs to go in the back of the PACE at the aerial inlet.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good thing Chistmas is coming. Turkey sized bacofoil might help!

10. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, i've ordered a TVI RF Filter from Maplin, and i'll give this a try in the meantime. When I (eventually) get my Plasma, i'm sure i'll end up using it somewhere anyway.

11. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    how did it go Neil ?

12. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nigel,

The TVI filter did not work, so I went through the relevant stages to get Ofcom to take a look at it for me. I'm still waiting to hear from them, BUT..... only last night the lamp post died completely - and back came my TV! Huraahh!!

I will also get some Ferrite rings this weekend anyway, which is something I have not tried, just in case. I'll hopefully be getting my Pioneer digital TV plasma in the new year, so it's really important to get this sorted.

Thanks for asking!

13. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,027
    It wasn't me who asked. However, it does seem likely that the complete failure of the lamp will result in it being fixed, without OFCOMs involvement. A result! Even if not of your doing...... Can't say I'm surprised that the RF filter didn't have the desired effect, but it was worth a try - it's probable that this interference was entering, not via the aerial, but via the mains or some other route.