1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pace twinview recorder problems

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by howell2, Oct 22, 2005.

1. howell2

howell2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone.

When I first got my Pace twinview after a few weeks one of the front channel display numbers went off. being the sort of bloke I am, I had to have a look rather than sending the unit back. It was a simple case of a dry solder joint and soon put right.

Everything has been pretty good up to now apart from the odd freeze up etc., until a couple of months ago when it would lock up, not record, BBC and somtimes would not be available.

So what do you do?, look at all the forums to try and find an answer. I have and nothing seem to work.

Remembering what I did in the begining I thought I'd have another look inside. Took out the main board and although they all looked ok I went over all the connectors with a soldering iron where the RF tuners are connected to the board and any others I thought may be suspect. I also made sure the RF wires were making good connection. reassembled and the utit has been working perfectly for over a month now, no freeze ups no pixelation and it records every time.

Now thinking of up rating the hard drive to at least double the recording time.

Hope this may be of use to anyone in dispare

howell2

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    One of the issues with the Twin is that the screening around the tuners loses its electrical connection with the case, and hence the two tuners' screens become (partly) electrically isolated. When this happens the tuners interfere with one another and introduce massive data errors in the decoded digital streams. I believe this occurs when they are both tuned to the same UHF frequency (mux). This probably accounts for your loss of BBC channels. Your fix to the problem was possibly nothing more than disturbing the mechanical connection between the tuner screens and the back panel thus restoring their electrical connection.

Some users have achieved results by soldering a cable between the tuner cans and the case. I gather that replacing the flimsy green internal coax that feeds the tuners from the RF input with better cable and interconnects can have improving effects, too.

3. howell2

howell2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, perhaps I should have suggested checking all the mechanical conections first. I had the cover off mine several times and even slightly bent the spring connectors to get good contact, however nothing was cured until I got out the iron.
    I have come across this problem before when people have stacked heavy things on top of the unit, but Im not talking about the pace here although the same could apply.
    At the end of the day I'm sure that most of the problems with the pace are connectivity and its worth having a play around before spending out on an expensive arial, by the way I live in an area which is supposed not to get digi reception. One warning though :- Warranty!!!

4. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New Pace Twin Software being transmitted now Guys