Pace Twins upgraded to 160 Gig Drive !!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by stanH, Jan 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. stanH

stanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been following the thread on upgrading the hard drive in the Pace Twins PVR for a while and last night I decided to take the plunge - BIG style.

I'd bought myself a 3.5" Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160 Gig drive and before installing into my PC I thought lets see what happens if I put it into the Pace PVR box. With screw driver in hand I took apart my Pace Twins receiver. Following instructions in a previous thread, I tapped off the "spare" 18 V on the main power supply and put it through a 7812 regulator with a few caps and heat sink. Using the power connector off on old PC supply, I hooked up the 12 volts. I used a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE drive connector adaptor that I found and converted the 44 pin 2.5" IDE connector to a normal 40 pin IDE connector (Its the same adaptor shown earlier in an thread). I tapped off 5 volts from the adaptor (it actaully had the 5 volts on a seperate connector on the PCB) and fed this to the drive power connector. Before connecting up the drive I thought I'd just check to make sure the drive power connector had the correct voltages. Powered up the PVR box and no problems - +12 V and + 5V on the right pins. I was beginning to loose my nerve a bit by this point. I could potentially ruin my brand new 3.5" 160 Gig drive not to mention the PVR box. I thought no - I've come this far and I'd already passed the point of no return :rolleyes:

I hooked up the drive to the IDE cable and power cable and switched on. No smoke or sparks. I heard the drive spinning up after the "INIT" message on the 7 segment display. Got a message on the screen saying it found the Maxtor 6Y160M0 drive, but reported its capacity as 137 Gig. Looks like the Pace software suffers from the same limitation as some older PC BIOS's in that it can't see the extra space above 137 Gig on big drives.

Any way I selected the option to initialise it and off it when and about a minute later completed with no problems. It now shows a recording time of 73 hours and 48 minutes :clap:

I quickly tried the pause and record features and so far they seemed to be working fine.

The problem I have now is how to fit in the 3.5" drive into the Twins. I have noticed there is a smartcard reader which is taking up quite a bit of space and looked like it could be removed without causing much damage. The first thing I tried was to unplug the cable that connects the card reader to the main board to see if the box would complain. Powered up - no problems. I've now removed the smartcard reader and the original 2.5" drive and thats given me enough room to "fix" in the 3.5" drive. Its a bit tight and I've had to bend back the tabs the the card reader was screwed to. Using packing foam, double sided tape and a couple of screws I've managed to secure the drive in place.

I'll update this posting over the next few days with a few more pictures and further info

StanH

Attached Files:

2. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you got the circuit diagramme for the PSU conversion?

Do you have any heat problems?

Paul

3. twarde

twarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Also, any chance of a photo of the innards with the disc installed.

Thanks.

4. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    bttt

5. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried recording past the 136Gb 'limit'?

I have read that on the Sky boxes if it is allowed to try to go past this it craps out and wipes the entire disk, forcing you to start again.

SKiddins