Pace Twins refunds ?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by TheBlueVoice, Jul 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. TheBlueVoice

TheBlueVoice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi fellow Twin owners!

I've about had enough of this product, after a couple of updates I still find it unreliable and cannot trust it fully for recording - the main reason I bought it for!

Has anyone had experiences of trying to return the unit for these software bugs?

2. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi

I have heard some people say they have returned theirs (on other forums). Have not heard any one say they had a problem. If it does not record regularly it is not fit for the purpose sold.
    I seem to have been lucky, as far as recording reliability goes anyway. Main problem is the crashing, since the last SW update. Presume that will get fixed in this months update.
    Good Luck Richard

3. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I returned mine a few weeks ago becuase of the soft picture problem. I'd had the unit since it was first launched, so it was about 6-8 weeks old when it was returned. I bought it from digitalboxshop.co.uk who were happy to give me a full refund (after letting me try a second unit to make sure my first was not faulty). I guess whether you will get a refund depends on how helpful your retailer is prepared to be.

Regards

Rob

4. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just received a reply from Pace about an email I sent to customer service a couple of weeks ago. I asked them for advice on returning my Twin for a refund after owning it for three months. I said I'd had enough of it's "quirks", but was worried about getting a refund since I bought it from a very small independant. I realised I was within my rights, but was pretty sure that the retailer would want to return the unit to Pace for repair or replacment. I knew that was futile and didn't want to waste my time. :suicide:
    Anyway the reply said that if I wasn't happy with the Twin after the July OTA download, then Pace would pick it up and arrange a refund :eek: So I suppose they must be very confident that the next download will solve everything.
    I thought this may give all of us Twin owners at least some hope of a functioning product before it becomes obsolete:clap:

5. TheBlueVoice

TheBlueVoice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is great news!
    My local is less than enthusiastic to refund.
    I am also waiting till after the next update, one last chance and all that ....

6. jonbar

jonbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a pity - the soft picture problem was fixed in the last download.

7. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the time I returned the unit (after several weeks testing to see where the problem was) Pace would not say whether it was a hardware or software problem. I was not prepared to wait until this was confirmed, because there was a risk that if they said it was a hardware fault it would have been too late to get a full refund from my retailer. I would then have been left with an expensive bit of kit with an unacceptably poor performance. If Pace's customer communication had been more effect (compare it to Netgem's, for example) I may have been prepared to wait a little longer, but Pace gave me the distinct impression that they were not really working hard to identify problems with the Twin recorder.

I'm glad that the PQ problem is resolved, although I'm pretty shocked that other, equally serious, problems have replaced them. I'm going to wait a few more months until things settle down with the Pace Twin, by which time the price might have dropped a little and there may be alternative PVR units to choose from.

Not for nothing did the adage "never buy v1.0" gain common usage. At times I felt that I'd bought v0.85B with the Pace Twin, so I hope that eventually Pace gets it sorted!

Regards

Rob

8. jonbar

jonbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it was a great relief to me when the new s/w fixed the soft picture.

Re. the other problems, there again seems to be a diversity of views. Some owners are finding the bugs impossible to live with, others - myself included - hit the odd problem only occasionally. The problems need fixing, but why the variation in people's experience?

I say 'again', because the soft picture problem affected some, but not others. There's suggestions this was down to the type and size of displays used, so maybe Pace is having problems predicting and testing sufficient permutations?