1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pace twins - irritating buzz

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pbo, Nov 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pbo

pbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else got an audio buzz? Not the box itself, but audible via tv or amp/speakers?

Had it since day 1, it's not a new thing. sometimes it's not there from switching on, it develops a bit later.

I need to upgrade software in december, so if anyone else has had this fixed in software I won't panic.

Other possibility - depending on where the hum is added - is to use optical out to my Yamaha HC amp.

All pointers gratefully received.

PBo

2. Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Had this on mine before I returned it.

I beleive if you contact Pace the will collect it and do a mofification.

Thats what they offered me.

3. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pace Twin on Friday and it had a loud hum on all audio outputs. Apparently this is a known hardware fault and will not be cured by a software update.

I took mine back to John Lewis and they replaced it immediately with a new one. The new box is fine and sounds great on all outputs.

I suggest you return your Pace Twin as faulty and get a replacement.

Hope that helps.

Spok.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Optical is quiet:clap:

5. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am using optical and its very good.
    now i have just got a Pace Twin and there is no teletext but that will be added i have been told in the next software upgrade before xmas.

the problem that i have noticed is when on play back the picture sometimes pauses then carries on this is a pain, does anyone know if the next software will fix this. also the guide is a bit slow in loading comparded to my Thomson freeview box - any comments on this and yes i am very new.

6. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I believe the fault lies in the psu, phone pace and they will give you the number for there authorised repairer, the box will be uplifted by courier and returned within 48hrs ...... been putting mine off for sometime but got it done last week.

nal

7. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem of a freezing picture, while the sound continues, has nothing to do with the power supply (assuming that's what you mean by PSU), and it has nothing to do with a weak Freeview transmission signal, as I had previously thought. It is a software bug and will be corrected in a future update.

The next software update will be a repeat of the last one and will take place on the 12th of December. Pace are using this slot to update the increasing number of new customers (like me) who have just bought a Pace Twin. All new boxes come from the factory with the March software edition installed and it is quite buggy.

A brand new software update will not be available until sometime early in the new year.

Happy Twinning,

Spok.

8. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so if its a software bug and if sent away can be corrected do you not think they will add this to the next upgrade that makes sense to me. i have only just got the thing and dont really want to send it away but if it gets any worse i will have to. perhaps if we all sent ours away Pace would fix this bug over the airways.
    oh well roll on 12th then lets see how it works after the update.
    first impressions

picture very good
    sound very good
    EPG (whats there) is much slower then my other Thomson freeview box and ever other box i have seen..

so far 6/10 but i hope it gets better.

9. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last sofware update that will be repeated on the 12th of December will greatly improve matters as far as the freezing picture is concerned. It will not get rid of it completely though.

I don't know why this bug is difficult to erradicate but that is a matter for the Pace software engineers.

At the moment, with the original March software, my Twin freezes probably only once in half an hour on playback. The freeze is of very short duration (200 - 300 mS) and isn't too irritating, especially as the sound is not affected.

Sending your Twin back to Pace for repair will not solve the problem. Give the Pace Technical Help Line a call (0870 837 8442) if you are in doubt. They are extremely efficient and helpful.

I suggest you wait for the download on the 12th and see if matters improve for you. If not, you will be entitled to a full refund.

Spok.:smoke:

10. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no i dont want my money back Pace will sort it i am sure in time.
    i was one of the first to use TiVo and that was a real pain but the software got it sorted in the end.
    i would liked to have seen something like videoplus put into the Pace as recording is a pain after using (and yes i still have one) a TiVo. roll on the upgrades ..

11. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To clear a point, my post was directed at the original topic.
    The buzzing sound is more like a fan whirring and is more noticeable when the tv is more than half volume.
    As previous stated pace know about it and the box will be uplifted and returned in days foc. This is a hardware fault on some boxes which cannot be rectified thru' a software download.

nal

12. Spok

Spok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So is the buzzing coming from the speakers on your television, or is it coming from the Pace box itself?

Spok.

13. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It appears on the audio thru' the tv speakers (in my case scart never tried the other options), an easy way to check is to put the pace on a channel thats not transmitting and increase the volume on the tv, normally past half volume it starts to become noticeable like a whirring fan, on an ok box it is virtually silent to full volume.

nal

14. colin_e

colin_e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You've probably worked this out by now, but the buzzing audio is
    a hardware problem with the power supply on some Twins and
    means the box must be repaired or swapped for a replacement.

The other issues, from S-Video out to glitches etc. are firmware and
    can be fixed in principle by new software downloads. So far the view
    on the forums seems to be that some problems (S-Video, Soft
    Picture) are fixed, but others like the glitching and some recording
    issues aren't there yet and need more work from Pace to be fully
    dealt with.

Regards: Colin