Pace Twin > won't startup > What is wrong?

andrewloves

Standard Member
Reaction score
My old faithful 2003 Pace Twin has a problem. :(

The unit is on standby, with the time showing, but will not switch on by the remote or the button on the front so no acess to menus.

Can't be a power supply problem. I do have a spare drive I could try, but if this was a hard-drive problem then I thought it would of asked to reformat the drive.

Any thoughts or fixes from anyone?

The current theory is that there has been a change in ITV1 broadcasting which is causing the system to lockup.

Remedy. Unplug the aerial. Unpower the unit for 10 seconds. Re-power

Change the channel to BBC1. Reconnect the aerial. The unit will collect the time... and will hopefully be OK.

Please report which transmitter you are receiving from.

Thanks for the reply Gavtech.

I have already tried disconnecting power/ariel with no effect.

I can't access any menus - none of the buttons on the machine or remote work. Only the time is shown on the front of the machine.

Thanks for the reply Gavtech.

I have already tried disconnecting power/ariel with no effect.

I can't access any menus - none of the buttons on the machine or remote work. Only the time is shown on the front of the machine.
Did you definitely try switching it back on after the power down, with the aerial still out?

Rgds.

Les.

Big thanks to Gavtech for this. Sheer fluke I saw this thread on the main index. I gave my old Pace Twin to our daughter and thought that it had overheated (she keeps leaving things on top of the vents and forgets to turn it off when not in use :rolleyes:). However it was on ITV2 when I turned it on just now, then put it on BBC1 as instructed before reconnecting the aerial. All seems to be working again (saved me a trip into the loft to find a spare hard drive as this was my next plan :smashin:).

Is this likely to keep happening or has this 'reset' the Pace some how?

EDIT: Crystal Palace transmitter.

Did you definitely try switching it back on after the power down, with the aerial still out?

Rgds.

Les.
...sorry Les, I missed that bit :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: Yepeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee its fixed!!!!! Thats Brilliant. Thanks very much Les.

Funny ITV was mentioned. I am told by wife that the box was left on Friday night on Channel 3 (ITV1). in the morning it had crashed.

Thanks again, Andrew

Crystal Palace transmitter.

Is this likely to keep happening or has this 'reset' the Pace some how?

It's too early to say yet.
It may require ensuring that the unit is not switched off on an ITV channel as it may be the struggle to reset the time at switch-on, [which is part of the start-up protocol,] that is causing the problem.

It may be the best that can be expected unless ITV undo whatever it is they've done... because Pace no longer support this unit.

So far I have only heard of this problem occurring from the Crystal Palace transmitter. We need to know if it affects others.
Thanks for reporting.

Andrew- Do you know yours?

It's too early to say yet.

So far I have only heard of this problem occurring from the Crystal Palace transmitter. We need to know if it affects others.
Thanks for reporting.

Andrew- Do you know yours?

I have 2 ariels (don't ask me why, done by previous owners) which point to 2 different transmitters: Guildford/Wonerash and Midhurst.

Most channels are from the Guildford/Wonerash transmitter - I can't seem to control which ones the Pace picks up, unless I delete the duplicates, which would be a pain as I think these would be replaced with every update.

Interesting to see that the Pace has gives differant signal strength information for each tuner (29% for tuner A, 41% for tuner B).

I tried turning it off with ITV 1 selected and it restarted OK that time, so it might not happen everytime, or maybe (optimistic head on :)) it's OK now I've reset it.

I can't imagine our daughter remembering to change to BBC 1 before switch off (if she even remembers to switch it off :rolleyes:) so I can see me doing this 'reset' quite a bit if it's not permenantly fixed. At least it can still be used which was main concern this morning.:smashin:

This morning my Pace Twin started to lock up. As first I thought it may be the hard disk - proved that it wasn't that by slotting another one in the unit.

It seems to be related to ITV1. If you swtich off whilst watching that channel you have a huge effort getting it to start again. Whilst channel hopping, it locks up too. The earlier posts is what I ended up doing by trial and error. A real hassle getting it to start once it locks up.

Damn, I spent most of the day trying to understand what was wrong, whilst it's now clear in my mind that it has something to do with transmission changes.:mad:

How do we/I report this issue? Who do we report it to?
:lease:
Thanks

How do we/I report this issue? Who do we report it to?

This is it.

We're on our own on this one and have to figure it out ourselves.

There is no official support for this unit any longer.

Problem started yesterday - I took the drive out to test it and it initialized the drive at start up but locked up again with no time shown.

Just got it to work following above instructions.

We are on the Oxford transmitter .

I hope this is not RIP my Pace Twin :(

Gavtech,

thanks for the suggestion - you have just saved me searching for a replacement PVR!

A bit of background...

I was watching Man on Earth on Channel 4 tonight (whilst simultaneously recording it). About a quarter of an hour into the programme the screen went black (but IIRC the audio remained). Initially tried a power reset but it refused to work - just displaying the time, so watched the remainder of the proggy in grainy analogue and tried a few more resets after 22:00hrs none of which worked. Thus came along to the forum to see the best replacement for the box, found this thread and voila - save myself a couple of hundred notes just before Christmas ;)

Some more background...

This is the third in the Man on Earth series - the first two i recorded to playback later. On both these recordings, partway through the programme the picture would "stutter" as if it was being displayed at only 5 or 10 frames per second - but the audio remained fine.

In Episode 1 the stutter started a few minutes into Part 4 and remained until the end (of the recording).

In Episode 2 it started halfway through Part 1, but was cleared at the first commercial break and remained ok for the rest of the programme.

It seems that there are weird gremlins roaming in the world of freeview ;)

Transmitter is (close) Sutton Coldfield (which currently has two masts).

Cheers,

mb

Just to let you all know that this issue is also happening via the Pontop Pike transmitter. I spent all day yesterday swapping drives & running checks to try & isolate the fault - came to the conclusion that my twin had finally given up & was due for replacement. Many thanks for the posts here - I'll probably still invest in another PVR, but you should have seen my daughter's face when I told her that she had lost all her recent recordings - at least I can get to them now. Thanks again!

Wow - I am on here to look for a new PVR because of this very problem.

Just about to try this solution. Might save my mum over £100.

This problem only started in the last day or 2 as well.

This worked for me - just tried it. Cannot believe that stroke of luck. Thanks to the guys on here who put down the fix.

We're in Scotland; might well be the Blackhill transmitter - although not 100% sure (might be Roseneath)

Anyway - that's saved me a trip to Argos / Comet tomorrow and around £100 :thumbsup:

OK- Thanks. - It's looking reasonably certain this is nationwide.

My Twin has recently locked up as well. I receive my signal from Wenvoe and, on clear nights when the transmission is good, and the signal is high, the Twin locks up. I have added a 6dB in-line attenuator (Maplin BW59P - costs £6) and the box now works well.

My Twin has recently locked up as well. I receive my signal from Wenvoe and, on clear nights when the transmission is good, and the signal is high, the Twin locks up. I have added a 6dB in-line attenuator (Maplin BW59P - costs £6) and the box now works well.

What does this do Wickes?

It seems that high signal strength locks up my box. On cloudy days the problem wasn't so bad because the signal strength from Wenvoe was lower. On clear nights it was much higher, and I got the problem. The attenuator reduces the signal strength, and the box works.

It seems that high signal strength locks up my box. On cloudy days the problem wasn't so bad because the signal strength from Wenvoe was lower. On clear nights it was much higher, and I got the problem. The attenuator reduces the signal strength, and the box works.

Ah OK - maybe that's what's wrong with my mums? The box has a tendancy to stutter and stuff. Locks up from time to time too.

I might get these to see if they improve things.

I always assumed it might be a poor signal that caused these issues, but it might be the very opposite. Worth a try for several quid anyway.

Cheers for the reply :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom