Pace twin update .... June

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by nal, May 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  2. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it is 'the one we're waiting for' does anyone know what it might do for us.

Thanks

3. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pace website says

"Pace will download a new version of software for the Twin Digital TV Recorder at 10.00am on Saturday 5th June. The download will run until 9.00am on Monday 7th June. "

Note 'new version'.

4. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully it'll be an ocean-going, fur-lined, industrial strength, catering size update! :D

Only a few tiny problems but it will be good to get them sorted.

Great machine and I could NOT do without it now :thumbsup:

5. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any chance of weekly programme guide yet? This would make a big difference to an already top piece of electronics.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Weeks guide is up and running for me in Surrey. It's totally excellent, as they say. I'm sure it's now just a roll out to the further reaches of the kingdom.

7. Richard Barham

Richard Barham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Pace about the content of the update. They said it was to
    - change the way the Twins box displays the extended programme information
    - address a few bug fixes and minor changes to the software
    and that they plan to put a statement on their web site explaining the changes.

So nothing too exciting it seems.

MAW - interesting that you get a weeks guide already. I wonder if it works in Chertsey. I'll have to check later.

8. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two hours to go!

Pace will download a new version of software for the Twin Digital TV Recorder at 10.00am on Saturday 5th June. The download will run until 9.00am on Monday 7th June.
    To receive the download, you will need to be tuned to a BBC channel. By accepting the download, you will receive the following enhancements:

More channels per page displayed on the guide.

Extended guide data displayed (if broadcast)

Improved navigation around the guide which includes:

Shortcut to next day
    Shortcut to previous day.

Return to Now

Zoom

Option to have playback loop continuously or stop when complete.

Option to add up to 5 minutes before the start and after the end of a scheduled event to allow for slight over run of event.

Radio screen saver.

Looks a bit boring really... but it better fix all the outstanding software problems otherwise my box is going back even though its over a year old - legally I have up to 6 years to make a compensation claim unless Pace/suppliers can proove it was sold defect free...

9. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 minutes to download, 2 minutes to flash and its done.

Initial thoughts... EPG seems better - actually usable - in London its actually 5 days (till Wednesday when writing this on a Saturday) - I wouldn't even had the patience to find that out with the last guide. And when its all downloaded, its quick to bring up again. I prefer the more channels on the page.

And it hasn't crashed yet, which is a big improvement :clap:

10. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Had a few moments of nervousness as it wouldn't restart....

Bit dull really. EPG is good but still useless for me since I only get now & next. Does it seem to change channels a tiny bit quicker? And what screen saver? Is it than channel hopper thingy?

11. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Er, is it me, or is the PQ a tiny bit better.....? A bit less "granulated", kind of smoother but without softness?

12. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen saver dims the brightness of the text logo on Radio channels after 'x' minutes. Default is off. Whats this channel hopper thingy? I agree with you about changing channels a bit quicker - especially with timeshared ones which It manages to do perfectly first time without loosing picture and/or sound. Can't comment on picture quality - I was always happy with it. I do understand that this changed between the original March 03 version and the Oct 03 update.

And still it hasn't crashed yet :clap:

-Ian

13. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought it was too good to be true.

ITS CRASHED :thumbsdow

Showing wife how much quicker changing channels was. First symptom, changing to BBC2 and getting a 'Pace' logo (not the interactive one), then changing back then back again revealed BB2 OK. The quick flick up through the channels, not sure how far I got, possibly the interactive channels or even moving onto Radio channels, then box crashed with framestore corrupted.

My box normall crashes once a week on average. Sometimes twice in quick sucession. Only when doing something with it, like in this case, changing channels. I soon learned to give it its own switched power source to avoid having to pull the plug from the back.

-Ian

14. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine hasn't crashed for about 6 months! Could this be a hardware problem you have? Faulty HDD?

15. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Agree with an earlier post - pic does look marginally better (on my plasma) -like the EPG as well - shame we can't get analogue teletext though :cool:

16. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Downloading it at this very moment. As for crashing, ours did till we learned to put the thing into standby when it wasn't being used.

17. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first thoughts are this software version looks much better and seems to improve the performance. Just wish we had more then now and next but thats not down to Pace.

18. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also noticed that you can now see the current date/time when playing back a recording if you press Info. That's useful.

I get the 5 day EPG too, and it seems much better - faster, with more channels displayed per page.

Anyone know if it will ever be possible to view other channels whilst pausing one?

19. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,526
    A big thumbs up from me for this download! So far so good....

20. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the picture may be slightly better, but as I have mentioned in another post elsewhere, I am having problems with ghosting, though it may be the TV.

The TV guide is more comprehensive although it still looks really naff when compared with most IDTV's etc. But I can live with that provided the TV guide is quick.
    It seems that sometimes some channels are quick at loading than others, I have noticed that if I press the buttons to skip to the next day the programmes for a certain channel will be there, but If i come back to the programmes just a couple of hours ahead they are missing :rolleyes:

Also notice that the time zoom function in the guide has the buttons the wrong way around, + zooms out, - zooms in. :rolleyes:

But this update is certainly getting there.

I can't be without my Pace now, despite the occasional crash, which is a bit annoying. :thumbsdow

Skiddins

21. Skiddins

Skiddins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just remembered, they need to get rid of the favourite TV lists being wiped every time you scan for new channels!

22. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Best update so far! :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the 7 day EPG - any news on this for Lancashire area?

23. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently, nomatter where you are, Pace has decided to trim the EPG to maximum of 4 days to provide a quicker response :rolleyes: They may decide to increase this back to 7 days as part of some forthcoming software release :rotfl:

I must say, it does benefit from being more responsive. But if they think they can increase things in the future, it makes you wonder why they didn't do it for this release. They have had long enough to do it.

-Ian

24. anothergo

anothergo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Install the update saturday. Since install the box has crashed once, failed to record on timer and produced one zero length recording. So much for the 9 month wait for new software!!!!

25. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest, was the zero length recording made when the unit was in standby?

26. robfsg

robfsg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely brilliant!!! :thumbsup: Only thing I'm a bit confused about is when it was downloading there was a brief description of what the update contained and it talked about introducing "Interactive Text". Anyone got any idea what this might mean?

27. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you had the original software in the Pace the interactive text/BBCi
    services were not available at that time but were later made available
    in software downloads. Call it a digital teletext for want of a better word.

28. boomer

boomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Earlier tonight my twin was tuned to BBC1, but the sound was muted (via the twin remote) as i believe the episode of "Only Fools and Horses" was repeat ;)

However, in the corner of my eye, i noticed that the picture occasionally froze for a frame or so - sometimes after tens of seconds, but also repeatedly only a few seconds apart.

Un-muting the sound seemed to fix the problem!

Moving to ITV1, there didn't seem to be the same muted jerkyness, but back to BBC2 (Billlicus Oddicus), muting the sound caused repeated brief freezes/jerks.

Anyone else experienced this "feature"? If so, it is time for an e-mail to Pace :rolleyes:

mb

29. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    You have to wait until it is next broadcast. Typically they are repeated about monthly. And you simply need to be tuned to a BBC channel at the right time. Broadcasts are usually for 47 hours, starting at 1000 on day 1 and ending at 0900 on day 3.

Keep an eye on two places for he next due date:

pacefreetoview.co.uk/02ee.asp

(Pace don't like people linking to their website, so type it in prefixed with www.)

and

www.dtg.org.uk ..... on the menu: Retailer/Installer > Engineering channel download schedule