Pace twin to replace TiVo?

Rob

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been looking at repacing my TiVo with A pace twin. I love the functinality of the tivo, but its annoying to say the least when it keeps turning over to record, :mad: hence the desire for a twin tuner, plus being able to get rid of my freeview box and have a one box solution.

Is there anything else out there simelar? I know the Pace is quite old now, so maybee there are other chioces. I know the pace has had a few bugs, has this now been sorted out, and presumably it is compatible with TUTV?

Apprecieate advice from anybody owning one ( or both) :thumbsup:

Cheers Rob.

The Pace is getting on and still has quiet a few bugs and is not compatable with top up TV and Pace says never will be. Why not keep the TiVo and add a small freeview box i got rid of my TiVo and now wish i had not i never thought the online guide would have lasted so long but its still going.
Keep TiVo and get a second box or wait for another twin to come out

OK keep current box for Tivo and get a Twin for TV and recording at better quality

OK,

Looks like I may be better off waiting, and just getting another freeview box for now. That had crossed my mind, but I'm fast running out of power points!

I didn't relise the Pace was still having problems after all this time, or wasn't compatible with TUTV. I don't have top up at the moment, but its nice to have the option if I want to add it in the future.

Thanks for the replys,

Rob.

Just for info.

I went into the local Panasonic shop yesterday. They told me deliveries of the TUCTH100 Freeview Digital Receiver PVR are but three weeks away.

David

vizslaraner said:
Just for info.

I went into the local Panasonic shop yesterday. They told me deliveries of the TUCTH100 Freeview Digital Receiver PVR are but three weeks away.

David

Thanks David. Does that have twin tuners? I'll have a search on thier site to find out some more info.

Well it looks like the Panasonic is only single tuner. shame.

I came across the Thomson DHD-4000 which seemed to fit the bill nicely. Twin tuners, 40Gb hard drive + 7 day EPG. This also seems to be having reliability problems though, although maybee this will be adressed in future firmware updates.

Think I may well stick to the TiVo and just add another freeview tuner. There doesn't seem to be anything reliable at the moment. Hopefully that will change though.

Cheers Rob.

Great!,

Must have been looking at the wrong model :blush:

Hopefully it will be just whats needed. Are there any reviews yet?

Rob said:
Great!,

There is very little info about the TU-CTH100; no reviews yet AFAIK and I have been looking.
I have a Pace Twin and while I have been reasonably happy with it, I would not get one at this point with new models appearing. e.g. the hard disk on the Panny is four times the size of the Twin's.
The TU-CTH100 has been promised by some retailers for a long time now so word of warning there.
I have a page from the Panasonic 04-05 catalogue. It says the TUC' will record two programmes simulataneously so it must have two tuners. (The Pace cannot do this although obviously it has two tuners. On the Pace you can just use one for watching and one for recording). It says the TU-CTH100 (snappy name) has 80gig HD (about 40 hours); will simultaneously record and play the same recording (time slip). The Pace can do this but some of the other more recent Freeview PVR's cannot. It says it has two SCARTS, nothing about audio out. RF output and loop through. It has a limit of 24 programmes and has the 7 day EPG.
Hope this is helpful Richard

Richard46 said:
There is very little info about the TU-CTH100; no reviews yet AFAIK and I have been looking.
I have a Pace Twin and while I have been reasonably happy with it, I would not get one at this point with new models appearing. e.g. the hard disk on the Panny is four times the size of the Twin's.
The TU-CTH100 has been promised by some retailers for a long time now so word of warning there.
I have a page from the Panasonic 04-05 catalogue. It says the TUC' will record two programmes simulataneously so it must have two tuners. (The Pace cannot do this although obviously it has two tuners. On the Pace you can just use one for watching and one for recording). It says the TU-CTH100 (snappy name) has 80gig HD (about 40 hours); will simultaneously record and play the same recording (time slip). The Pace can do this but some of the other more recent Freeview PVR's cannot. It says it has two SCARTS, nothing about audio out. RF output and loop through. It has a limit of 24 programmes and has the 7 day EPG.
Hope this is helpful Richard

I echo Richards comments. I too have a Pace Twin and though I cannot say I've had the same amount of trouble as some, I feel its performance is average at best.

If the TU-CTH100 does appear as promised (the Humax 9000T is another elusive beast) I will undoubtedly get one, regardless of the lack of reviews. Even if it's only as good as the Pace is now, there's room for improvement; which is in direct contrast to the negative vibes emanating from Pace.

David

Rob said:
Great!,

Well if you get a Panny please let us all know how good it is but you will miss the old TiVo that was a one off.

and i would also say the Pace Twin was average at best

Yeah, its a shame the TiVo is now not supported over here. A twin tuner variety, as they have in the US I believe would have been ideal. The Pace doesn't seem to deliver the goods, in terms of reliability & functionality, plus a small memory, although you can upgrade that of course.

I'm certainly interested in the Panasonic, and too would be interested if anybody buys one, or has any info. It could be the box to buy.

Rob.

what do you mean the TiVo is not supported over here?

Rob said:
Hi Folks,

I've been looking at repacing my TiVo with A pace twin. I love the functinality of the tivo, but its annoying to say the least when it keeps turning over to record, :mad: hence the desire for a twin tuner,

Not sure whether you meant it keeps turning over to record its suggestions or season passes. If it's TiVo suggestions you can turn this off and tell it to record only things you want it to.

I've just bought a plasma and had to buy a second freeview box so I could watch different things whilst the TV records what it wants. I already had the Netgem freeview and bought the panasonic freeview box. I tried the panny as the supplier for TiVo but it was pretty unreliable at changing channels (especially 3 digit channels) but the netgem freeview is great.

mjn said:
what do you mean the TiVo is not supported over here?

What I meant was that I don't think the TiVo is in production over here anymore, although it is still supported, not sure how long this will last though. A UK twin digital tuner version would have been great. I love the way the TiVo works. Its still better than anything else I've used.

Tony,

Yes I had thought about turning the suggestions off but it very often records something I had missed, which is handy. I too use a plasma, and may well just add another freeview box, such as the Netgem. I've heard its pretty good (Currently use a Nokia 221T)

Regards Rob.

You get a good picture from the Netgem, it's not the fastest for changing channels or text but very reliable. If you are contemplating Top Up TV though I think you may have to add something - not sure what exactly and I think it depends on whether you buy the original which I have or the BT version. Also does component out via scart which should be good for the plasma although I have to admit I've never tried it.

Tony,

I have the netgem and a tivo and I bought an astracam module which can be plugged into the slot on the side of the netgem to allow it to take the topup TV card.

It all works fine, and the choice of channels is great for the £7.99 a month.

Cheers,

Rob said:
What I meant was that I don't think the TiVo is in production over here anymore, although it is still supported, not sure how long this will last though. A UK twin digital tuner version would have been great. I love the way the TiVo works. Its still better than anything else I've used.

yeah, TiVo's haven't been in produced for a good few years now, but now that SKy offers the support, i don't think that will be going anywhere soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom