Pace Twin Software Update July 25th/26th

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dougbryson, Jul 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. dougbryson

dougbryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,
    For all who are still persevering with the Twin (it's great when it works, honest!) Pace have scheduled the next software update for July 25th and 26th.
    What little tweaks will we find with this one I wonder...

2. parsimony

parsimony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's good that they persevere but you can't get away from the fact that this basic level of beta testing should have been done long before release.
    Perhaps what we really need is open source code so that the user community can sort the software for itself!!!

3. Mrs Trellis

Mrs Trellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sentiment entirely. I am simply not prepared to be an early adopter paying the full retail price for a product that still does not work after three months.

4. cfczeek

cfczeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know that I can take it anymore! I never really had a problem with my Twin, which I've owned since launch, I was very pleased with it, but since the last software update, its become almost unusable.
    It misses recordings everyday, after which its impossible to record anything (recording length is always stuck at -708422). Its even destroyed recordings I had stored in the library.
    I've re-initialised the disk, and it still happens.
    It crashes constantly, and the 'interactive' stuff is just a pain in the rear - I wish they'd give a menu option to turn it off for those of us who will never use it!!

I'm really annoyed now, because I love the Twin as a product, and have stuck with it since launch, and kept Pace informed of any bugs, but this last update is a joke, its introduced so many more bugs than there were before. Its a gamble now whether to install updates or not because you may lose the box all together!

And I still don't get why they only put the updates there for two days. What a massive screw up if you happen to have a bug ridden box, which won't record anything anymore, and you happen to be away for the weekend when they release an update!

Pace - Does every update include ALL previous fixes? I should hope so or there will be huge problems when you miss one! Is that what these problems are all about?! What happens if one update relies on a previous one which hasn't been installed? Are you testing against boxes with different software updates than there are in the real world? Are you even testing at all?!
    Do you look at these forums?! If not, I suggest it might be worth starting!

5. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi cfczeek

You asked if Pace 'look at these forums?! If not, I suggest it might be worth starting!'

Why not just copy your post straight to

customer.support@pace.co.uk

got to be more direct than hoping Pace monitor this site. The more complaints the better.

Regards Richard

6. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes they do, or at least I was assured they do, I checked before I bought mine, right after the PQ problem was fixed - there was no way retailer's stock would have the latest update. Mine still has the original firmware - here's hoping the PQ fix is as good as others say.

7. cfczeek

cfczeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 'fix' for the PQ is excellent, if you don't want to record or change channels anymore;-)
    It seems as though they have fixed the PQ bug, but reintroduced all the previous ones, frame freezing, crashing, missed recordings, hence why I wonder whether they are regression testing!
    Thanks Richard - They certainly have had a lot of emails from me already in the past few days!

8. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Hi cfczeek

Have you had any specific replies from Pace. I mailed last week, pointing out that crashes and screen freezing during replay had become more prevelant since the last update. For some reason I do not have any problems (not lately anyway) with actual recording. Dont know why, wish I did. My only hunches, which are probably completely wrong are that I dont have a VCR attached to the second scart and I almost never remember to put it on stand by.
    Anyway I got this reply.

Hello
    We are currently working on fixes for these problems, the provisional date
    for the next download is the 25th & 26th of July.
    I hope this helps.
    Best Regards
    Customer Front Office
    Pace Micro Technology plc

Regards Richard

9. cfczeek

cfczeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard

That's all I got from them too. I mailed them back a couple of times because it only seemed to happen when I added multiple series events, but they didn't seem particuarly interested, which means they either don't care, or they already know what the problem is and have fixed it for the next release!
    I don't have a VCR attached either, which is exactly why I thought I never had as many of the problems that everyone else had early on, but it seems that they are getting me back now with interest!!

10. JezT

JezT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I questioned them [PACE] about the problems since the last download and whether there will be a way of downloading future updates over the internet and loading them into the box via a serial cable. At least when there is a problem with a new update you could 'roll-back' to an earlier issue. They said:

'We are aware of the problems caused by the latest download and we are working to rectify these problems, unfortunately we can only update the boxes over the air we do not make software available over the internet'

worth a try...

11. cfczeek

cfczeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've asked them twice though why there is such a small download window - why only two days? What's the point? Why not always have it available? What can they possibly gain by only having it available for two days?! Jeez, one night out on the lash and you could miss that!!

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    They have to pay the BBC for renting bandwidth on their "engineering channel"

13. Mrs Trellis

Mrs Trellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That alone should be a major incentive to GET IT RIGHT (Yes I am shouting)!

14. jonbar

jonbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pace was being a little lenient with the truth. While it true they do not make the software available, they could. What probably scares them off is the thought of some customers screwing up, leaving their Twins totally unworkable.

cfczeek - why not ask if you could take the Twin to them to have the old software restored? - depends on how easy that is for you, of course.

15. parsimony

parsimony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another reason why they might not be keen to make the software available over the internet is the fact that it could be reverse engineered (and probably improved) by others!
    Think of all the **Basic** improvements you could make......
    Apart from bug fixes I would love to see the ability to edit recordings (or maybe export to the PC, Edit & Import). Might need something a bit faster than a serial link though :)

16. boomer

boomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and the bad news is that the upgrade has been postponed until August :(

See Software Updates

which says...

Twin Digital TV Recorder Software Download
    The proposed download on the 25th & 26th July has now been re-scheduled, sorry for any inconvenience.

As a result, the next Twin Recorder software download will take place from 10.00am on Monday 4th August until 09.00am on Wednesday 6th August 2003. The download will update the software on your Twin Recorder giving you access to interactive services and digital text.

To receive the download you need to be tuned to a BBC channel.

Let's hope that this means that every little problem will be properly sorted :rolleyes:

mb

17. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do they always say "giving you access to interactive services and digital text"??? Not very informative, is it... :thumbsdow

18. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    I guess, because anyone who has bought a box recently (with the factory supplied software) will not have text enabled - and this is, after all, the only true new feature. All the rest are bugfixes ie. to make advertised features work as they should.

But I agree, a list of fixed problems would be a help.

As would an updated manual.

19. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I will be away for the new download date, I hope to use a programmable remote to trigger the download in my absence. But can anyone recollect the exact key sequences required ?

The manual suggests power on, tune to BBC, wait a bit, press OK to confirm download, press OK to not format hard disk.

Is that it ? Does the Twin then come back up in standby, or do I have to power off after say 30 mins ? Does it then do a retune of its channels ?

20. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can't remeber the exact sequence, but you definitely don't have to tell it to not format the hard disk. I think it's turn on to a BBC channel, wait for the announcment, confirm you want it, and then I don't think you have to do anything else. The Twin downloads the update which takes a good ten minutes, it then flashes the download, teling you not to disturb the box at all. When that's done (five mins) the box just stays on, displaying the BBC channel you tuned to. Someone feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong.
    You could also try forcing the Twin to look for the update via the menu.

21. mrkjd

mrkjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where's the upgrade promised for today then? My GF said there was an upgrade screen this morning that she cancelled and when I tried to upgrade thru config/software update it tells me no new upgrade is available.

I checked my set up and the software is still the old March version

22. cfczeek

cfczeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just asked them, and got this reply!
    ===============================
    Hi,
    Thank you for your email regarding the Pace Twin Digital TV Recorder. Unfortunately, due to a technical problem, we are unable to broadcast the software download this week as anticipated. The software download has been re-scheduled and will now take place next week. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
    ===============================

This is total garbage now. I've not been able to use the box for recording since the last update, and having had this rescheduled once already, I'm not happy, especially as I'm away next week...I can't wait till the next one, whenever that may be, so I'm gonna try to get a refund. I'm not paying £350 to be a beta tester anymore!

23. mrkjd

mrkjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B*gger ..... I' m away next week too.

This is like waiting in for the gasman to take a reading. When he doesn't turn up as promised I can claim compensation.

Where's my £15 Pace??????

24. boomer

boomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very poor show from Pace :mad: - See Software Updates...

The next Twin Recorder software download date will be announced shortly, sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

:mad:

The words finger, your, get and out spring to mind :(

At the very least, tell us how long we have to wait to stop our STBs hanging several times a day :rolleyes:

mb

25. rob@rar.org.uk

rob@rar.org.uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad I got a refund for my Pace Twin. It seems to have gone from bad too worse. I'm just hoping that smeone else will release a Freeview hard disc recorder - that might even prompt Pace to stop taking the Mickey out of their long-suffering customers.

Regards

Rob

26. Mrs Trellis

Mrs Trellis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, they just can't make it work. I'm glad I got my refund a couple of weeks ago.

27. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This from the Pace website:

The next Twin Recorder software download date will be from 10.00am on Wednesday 13th August until 09.00am on Monday 17th August.

The download will update the software on your Twin Recorder, giving you access to interactive services and digital text. To receive the download you need to be tuned to a BBC channel.

28. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Better late than never, I suppose. Probably just been ironing out a few rough spots!!

29. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    As somebody on another forum has pointed out, the 17th August is a Sunday! They don't even know what day it is.