Pace twin signal strength ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by claire handford, Feb 1, 2005.

1. claire handford

claire handford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The signal srength on my pace twin is between 38 and 50 % depending on which channels the tuners are on . I can only assume that this is poor , but i have not bothered about it because the picture on my panasonic 32 crt is fab on most of the channels. I have just ordered a philips 9986 32" ( stop laughing ) and the ones i looked at were not in the same league as my crt using a sky feed ( brill on dvd though ) . So to get to the point would i be wise to invest in a decent ariel know as the philips will no doubt show up any short commings. Phew ! ps what signal stengths are you getting ?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Signal strength is relatively unimportant. Bit Error Rate is what matters. A low signal strength makes it more likely to suffer interference and hence more bit errors. But, if it's weak, yet clean, you will get good reception.

The Bit Error Rate is shown as an exponential value, like 1.000E-9. To evaluate this, the most important digit is the last one (-9 in this case). The higher this number is, the better. The highest number is 9.

If this falls to say 6 or 5, you may begin to see some blocking and freezing. Poor reception in the digital domain is always either completely unnoticeable or very very intrusive. There is no intermediate state.

3. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    With a Sky+ box you can see the quality rate for things you are recording and not just the default transponder.

I have 60% on the quality reading in good weather on default transponder, 90% on BBC etc, and 50% Eurobird transponders. In poor weather I have seen it drop as low as 30% on Eurobird.

Yet, I have still to see any picture break-up or sound glitches at all. Yet I know others who hit 30% and get many problems.

There must be some other factors involved here that are not readable from these meters.

Jonathan

4. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Like I said: Signal strength is relatively unimportant. Bit Error Rate is what matters. A low signal strength makes it more likely to suffer interference and hence more bit errors. But, if it's weak, yet clean, you will get good reception.

5. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446

I think I may have confused by my post. The original poster, was talking about signal strength readings. I was talking about signal quality readings (= error rates), as you correctly state, quality is the important one. From my understanding of your post, the signal quality readings run 1-9 (10 not reachable). I quoted as percentages of the bar graph display (i.e 10%-90%) for quality. With a 30% quality/inverse error rate reading on Eurobird, you would have thought there would be picture break-up, yet I have none.

Jonathan

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    The OP was referring to the Pace Twin, which is a terrestrial Freeview receiver. It quotes both signal strength (as a numeric measure between 0 and 100) and Bit Error Rate (as an exponential value). And good reception, wholly free from glitches, shows a Bit Error rate of 1.000E-9. 1.000E-9 is another way of expressing 0.0000000001 (I think I got the right number of zeros). This is the smallest value the menu will display.

With all digital media, there is some error tolerance. Errors are corrected, until they reach a threshold beyond which there are too many for the original signal to be recoverable. At this point what you see or hear is seriously damaged. This is why, in pretty well any digital medium, as signal deteriorates, perceived quality remains indistinguishable from perfect, until suddenly, serious disruption begins. That's the nature of digital media.