1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pace Twin - Playback of 'Enterprise' recording

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by MovieAddict, Mar 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,
    I don't use my Pace Twin very often but I wonder if anyone else has the following problems on playing back of some recordings...

When I start playing back recordings I make of 'Enterprise' from channel 4, the playback starts ok and I see the end of the adverts before 'Enterprise' starts, then sometime after it starts the screen goes black but the audio is still ok.
    So, to get the video back I have to fiddle with the remote, usually the 'up' arrow gets it back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this ?

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Yeah, I get stuff like this happening all the time - it is one of the 'features' of the pace twin :thumbsdow

3. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont use my Pace at all now except if i really have to and on the last time i really had to the bloody thing screwed up. play back started Ok the the screen went blank and the sound carried on i restarted and managed to get passed that point but it stopped again later.
    If its important "dont use a pace twin" they are crap and even the company seems unready to repair the software.

pace twin -5 out of 10

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I experience exactly the same issue. The thing is junk. I'm getting sick of waiting for Pace to finally release a software version that actually does what it says on the tin, reliably. They keep making noises about it, but nothing has yet been forthcoming.

As soon as someone comes out with a half-decent DVD recorder with hard disc AND an onboard freeview tuner - it'll go.

5. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    When the problem next occurs, press stop then play and it will pick up from where the picture froze and continue as normal (until the next one :rolleyes: )

6. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I agree "JUNK" i was talking to a friend today about his pace twin and he as taken the hard drive out to upgrade his old laptop and uses it as a freeview box. As for a software upgrade i dont think that will ever come now even pace as given up on this usless piece of kit. Oh well it will be a very very long tome before i buy another pace product..

7. SASMAN

SASMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    yes me too i have the same problem, seems to be channel 4 (ER, Desperate Housewifes) Is it the hard drive or just the software.
    Im also unhappy with it.
    What i want is. Twin freeview, large hard drive 120gb +, component or dvi/hdmi out, digital sound out.

Whats the chance :)

Tom

8. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I reckon its the software in the Pace. On playback it may be interpreting some digital sequence in the recording and for some reason blanking out the video. It seems to happen mostly just after adverts.
    Its surprising they can't seem to fix this as it happens quite often.

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Windows Media Center!

10. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,406
    Well (touch wood) I hardly get any grief at all from my Pace Twin! Had it for a year or so and mostly been cool! The only problem has been very very occasionally it'll record something I set it to but then it freezes. Just locks up entirely so I have to unplug it and start again. When that happens it fails to record whatever I set it to originally but previous recordings are still there. I personally think its a great piece of kit!

11. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes i was suprised that they could not fix this problem, and yes its mostly after adds. i give up with the twin now and will never buy another pace product thats for sure.

12. Foober

Foober

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,

This is the most frequent bug I experience when playing back. It seems to happen whenever the recording has either :-

A static image in it.
    A few frames of black-screen.
    A fade-to black.

So nearly a great product, wasnt it .... :suicide:

13. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Foober,
    I think you're right, this problem can be 'triggered' by other events like the ones you mention.
    Initially, when I bought the Pace Twin (nearly 2 years ago), I thought I was experiencing problems like this and also complete 'freeze-up's of the unit because I have a weak'ish freeview signal.
    But..., it seems like this is a good as it gets ?!!

14. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've just sent off an email to Pace Customer Support.
    It will be interesting to see if they give any positive support.
    I don't hold out much hope though, as its obviously been reported many times in the past.

15. jimbowley

jimbowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too.

I'll try out the suggested up arrow. I'm pretty sure stop/play doesn't work for me. I usually end up rewinding and then forwarding past the trouble but it's very hit and miss, and very frustrating.

16. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

17. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    pr1uk,
    Yes, I thought software updates would have fixed the playback issue ages ago!

After all its such a basic function - to be able to play back recordings, I'm not even asking it to do anything more complicated (like 2x speed, etc).

I recorded "Enterprise" from channel 4 last Sunday, and the playback issue happened about 3 times (after every advert break).

18. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i think even pace as given up on this product, it started off Ok and we all looked forward to upgrades to fix the little problems. alas it got worse and i dont think even pace can fix it now never mind we all know what to expect if ever pace released another freeview recorder.
    CRAP

19. SASMAN

SASMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This was my first and only hard disc recorder, I too was happy at first with the thought of all the little bugs being fixed, but im not now.
    I still want a hard disc recorder, but do they all suffer from these problems.
    Is it better to use a HTPC or a dedicated recorder.
    Or was Pace the only ones that couldnt crack it

20. AndyFov

AndyFov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    My Pace exhibits the same problem, and it's far more unreliable now than it was when I first got it. The updates seem to have made the thing worse. I just regret missing the window to take it back for a refund. It's just a shame, it could have been something special...

I think the Thomson is the one to have right now, £160 from Unbeatable. Seems to be much loved on Digital Spy, and the only main criticism is it looks like it's been cobbled together by a 6th form Tech Design class. I've come close to ordering a time or two in the last week, but am holding fire till opinions of the Panasonic pvr filter through.

Andy

21. junkpuppets

junkpuppets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i gave up with it, after a few emails to pace complaining and not taking no for an answer they gave me a full refund a few weeks ago (and i bought it when they first came out!!) i've had far less problems with the fussion which i now use

22. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about the Thomson or Fussion edging towards the Thomson but this bloody pace twin as really put me off big time. Like every one who have had one from the begining i have seen the small bugs get worse after every software upgrade and now pace seems to have washed their hands of it altogether. I did buy a cheap Humax for the bedroom only one tuner but reliable well 100 times better then the pace twin.
    I think pace should offer everyone their money back on such a bad unsupported product. A friend of mine has an old laptop and as taken the hard drive out of his pace and upgraded the laptop the pace is now a basic very expensive freeview box.
    Would anyone ever buy another product from pace ?
    I would not and thats for sure what a company it takes your money makes the product worse over time then ignores it and the customers altogether.
    It is a shame pace dont read this forum and reply

23. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I got a reply from my email to Pace.

To summarise:
    They said that they are aware of some outstanding issues escpecially to do with recordings and they are trying to resolve the problems with future software updates but cannot give any timescales.

Its about what I expected. :thumbsdow
    I've sent another email to press them a bit further on this issue. :devil:

24. SASMAN

SASMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Pixel123

What e-mail address are you useing for pace, im going to do the same.

Tom

25. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't email too much - the programmer will have to stop work to answer them :devil:

26. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  27. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    After another session where the bit-error rate kept cycling up and down, so high when "up" as to cause major glitches - and KNOWING that my incoming signal is clean - so it MUST be the Pace junk

and

after another instance where the software froze during a timed recording, meaning I had to cycle power, and hence lose the recording

and

after another instance where, on return from the EPG, the picture was replaced by a slow scrolling digital "noise/raster" pattern - again requiring power to be cycled to resolve

I've given up with the wrteched thing, and bought a Panasonic. Too soon to tell if it's better (could hardly be worse). Certainly it's similarly functional.

28. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Nigel,
    I suspect your Panasonic will be fine. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and it is excellent.

The big Japanese companies have the knack of producing solid products IMO.

29. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    After a few emails to Pace, they say they're aiming to release a new software update in July.

30. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on give us reports on the Panny and no it could not be any worse then the pace. I was thinking of the twin Humax, Fusion or Thomson i know its not 10/10 for design but i was edging towards the Thomson.
    Whatever i got it could not be as bad as the bloody pace twin "could it" ?