Pace twin - modification

SNICK

Established Member
Reaction score
Keen to know from any users, whether modding your pace (earthing both tuners) has made a significant difference to the number of crashes and failed recordings. :mad:

I also get a mild 'herringbone' affect on screen - just wondered whether the 'mod' might fix that as well :smashin:

finally - before I rush out and buy a soldering kit - how easy is it to do? :rolleyes:

Thanks

Effect: has improved reception quality - much higher signal strength and lower bit/error rate evident WHEN BOTH TUNERS ARE TUNED TO THE SAME MUX. No effect in any other circumstances.

No noted improvement as regards my only other fault: the box hangs during a timer recording, carries on until the disc is full. Hence no other (later) recordings. Only way to recover the box is to disconnect power, which kills off the recording that caused the problem. No improvement here at all.

Herringbone: not likely to be the Pace box itself. How have you got it connected to the TV?
Herringbones are typically caused by RF signal interference - it's probably happening between the Pace and the TV, not inside the Pace. Probably.

Easy: yes, if you know how to use a soldering iron.

Mines worked perfect since I did the mod, very easy to do the mod.

Dave.

What type of solder did you use for this purpose???

I used normal solder with the flux built in took me about 20 minutes start to finish,job done.

Dave.

Is there a write up with pics on this mod?

I did this mod today, and thought it went quite well.
But just got home and it failed to record - the bloody thing had crashed and I had to switch off from the mains to get it going again :mad:

I hope the two events are unrelated...

Apart from that there has been no 'error rates' so far...

Hi Snick,

I soldered a short length of copper braid between the 'lid' of the RF screened box and the associated phono plug 'screen'. A total of 4 lengths as there are 4 plugs connecting the 3 boxes. This definately improved my twin: signal strength and more importantly 'bit error rate' [BER] proved with less interactivity between tuners. Viewing and recordings enhanced. Sorry havent got decent digi camera.

ADDITIONALLY: the 'springy' bent metal earth bonds between each Tuner board and the rear vertical chassis panel were intermittant, causing erroneously high BERs. Fixed by a soldering a copper braid between the 'springy' metal on each Tuner board to the chassis. (Chassis connection using solder ring tags attached to the tapped unused rear chassis hole with a M4 bolt). Again define benifit.

Hope this helps.

Yetty, that sounds interesting, I wonder if I did mine wrong... unfortunately I am afraid that I didn't really understand your explanation - I would need a picture I think :blush:

I did my mod from this picture that I got from another forum / post, can't remember where now - hope I don't infringe any copyrights.

Attachments

• PaceBoxMod copy.jpg
    PaceBoxMod copy.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 120
deleted member,

Apologies for my tardy response. I’ve just got a digital camera so here are some pictures re my earlier post. These mods have worked well.

Anybody know a fix for the only problem where the BER degrades when the 2 tuners are set to the same Mux ? In my case this happens for my relatively weak ITV mux [some might argue not a great loss!] Any known fixes ?

Rgds, Yetty

Attachments

• pace solder 1 sm.jpg
    pace solder 1 sm.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 112
  • pace solder 2 sm.jpg
    pace solder 2 sm.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 106

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back