Pace Twin Digital Hard Disk Upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by marcusadams, Feb 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. marcusadams

marcusadams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just upgrade the Pace Freeview Twin Digital Hard disk recorder to 80gb (using a Hitachi 80GN 2.5" hard drive the basic 4200rpm one).

The disk initiallised automatically as soon as I switched the machine on, I selected the intialise disk option form the "menu" page again just to be sure. The Pace reported about 43 hours of recording time available.

I hae the latest firmware installed (dated Oct 2003) and everything so far seems to be OK. I have recorded about 5 programes all faultlessly, one actual;ly recorded as another was playing back ( a small pause on playback as the recording started, but otherwise fine), everything has worked fine.

So far would recommend. Bought disk from Dabs.com, cost about £135 + VAT (you can get them on Ebay for about £120 inc VAT). Will post any problems if encountered.

Marcus

2. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Im very interested in obtaining the same Hard Disk, can you let me have the exact part no.

Many thanks

AVnut70

3. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Is there a reason why neither of you would follow the thread about three posts down this page and save yourself at least £60 ? :confused:

4. Brava 210

Brava 210

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    i upgraded to 80gb fujitsu same as original drive
    £74 pcnextday.....

5. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What speed does the disk need to be, 4,200RPM or 5,400RPM?

Thanks

6. as8602

as8602

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Don't think it really matters. I just went and bought the cheapest 80GB from MISCO (Toshiba, GBP 71.66 inc delivery). I could have paid more for a 5,4000 RPM disk, but couldn't see the benefit compared with the specs people were quoting for the original Fujitsu disks being used to upgrade over 2 years ago when the Twin was first released.

I was happy to get this and try it, as I needed a disk for another project so there was no risk. Popped it in on top of the old disk (as others have done, as it would be more of a palaver to remove the old disk). All initialised and worked, and then promptly went away for a week to return to 16 hours of 18 recordings with no problems. One happy punter!

One possible benefit of the lower speed is less heat, not that I think it'd be a huge problem in the Twin.

I've just bought a Dension hard disk player for the car which takes a 2.5"" disk in a removable caddy. The vendors recommend the lower speed drive on the basis of reduced heat, but that's in a far more confined space. The Dension gets the drive that comes out of the Twin, then I've got about 300 CDs available in the car - superb!

But the upgrade to the Twin has been fantastic. Misco were as cheap as I could find for an 80 GB disk and I didn't really want to go smaller. Couldn't believe the silly prices for second hand disks on eBay, though!