Pace Twin corrupt recording

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jonl, Apr 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jonl

jonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the Pace Twin for one day, I've recorded two programs and one of the recordings is corrupt - not much of a success rate.

In the library screen the corrupt recording shows a duration of over one hour but does not show anything in the preview screen.

If you press OK to view it, it shows either a freeze-frame from the other recording in the library or a freeze frame from whatever was playing on one of the tuners. There doesn't seem to be any way to access it.

The red light was on for the whole duration of the recording.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. chrisowe

chrisowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I also had the problem, and it also happened when I had only recorded my second program.

When I tried to select the program all I seemed to get was a frozen picture from the previous recording, and unable to play i back.

I ended up erasing the recording. Luckily I decided to watch the program I was recording so I didn't actually miss it. This could potentially very annoying if it happens again !

3. jonl

jonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just sent off a complaint email to Pace about this.

Judging by all the problems described in other threads in this forum they may have their hands full but it may get a bit more attention if you send them an email as well (customer.support@pace.co.uk).

4. jonl

jonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pace have responded to my email (rather quickly) saying that if the corrupt recording was caused by a fault in the Twin's software then they would 'hope' to have a fix in the upgrade that adds the text functionality in May. How they can say that such a fix is possible when they haven't investigated or diagnosed the problem is beyond me. It sounds a bit like a fob-off to me.

5. Adam Gilchrist

Adam Gilchrist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Twin's hopeless. I set it to record 3 programs yesterday, only one of which recorded. The day before, set 2 recorded 1.

I've never bought anything so bugridden.

6. jonl

jonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adam,

Do the programs that you say failed to record show up in the library screen (but are not accessible when you try to play them)? If so, this is the same problem and it's a bit worrying to hear that it happens this frequently.

If the programs just didn't record (i.e. they don't show up in the library), it may be down to another bug with the Twin discussed in another thread on this forum. A VCR (or other equipment) connected to the AUX SCART can cause timer events to be missed if the VCR is switched on while the Twin is in standby waiting for a timer event.

This definitely happens on mine.

7. Adam Gilchrist

Adam Gilchrist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normally programs don't show in the Libarary screen. I know about the VCR scart thing - I've disconnected the switching line.

I watched it not record something yesterday: record light on all the way through; watching the channel it was recording showed 0 record time. Stopped it, it said it couldn't play the recording. Turn it off and on, library entry disappears.

Bad!

8. jonl

jonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds slightly different to my problem as I still have the unplayable recording in the Library (I've switched it off and unplugged it from the mains but this had no effect). The two problems may well be caused by the same bug though.

I'm surprised that more people haven't discovered this problem. There are so many people who have Twins that have found other problems but only three people so far have mentioned this one and it's such an obvious fault. Perhaps it is only present on some boxes (indicating a hardware fault such as a dodgy disk).

Pace have emailed me again to say that if a bug is located they will put a fix in the May upgrade. I'm still not sure how they can locate the bug based on the minimal information I gave them unless they themselves can already reproduce the fault easily.

9. Adam Gilchrist

Adam Gilchrist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had that too. Recordings of zero length in the library that won't play.

10. wilby

wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to buy one of these. May wait now

As the saying goes "never buy version one!"

11. rob n

rob n
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recorded 6 or 7 programmes so far with no problems

BTW I've found the bookmark & resume play functions don't work with recordings made from digital radio but work fine with recorded TV programmes.

12. rarrar

rarrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st program I recorded was fine ( I was using the pace for live TV at the time).

2nd program tonight - nothing in the library or events, could be finger problems tho' I did check events before going out.
    The events did show correct time etc but wrong title ( the program wasnt in the EPG and so I had to edit the event settings)- I tried to edit the title to a blank but it kept reverting to the original.

Will have to try recording a lot more programs to see if there is a problem.

Robert

13. travant

travant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also had a corrupt recording. Like others in this thread, the red light was on during the whole program, when I switched to AV2 (in the little window) it showed the programme being recorded.

When I came to play back the library preview window showed a black screen and play back had a still frame from another recording and could not be controlled.

Although the library entry showed the correct details for the program, the remaining record time had not reduced by the length of the programme.

The only thing I can think of was that (as this was a new toy) I was fiddling around with it around the time that recording started including deleting library entries just before the delete button gets disabled.

Were others who saw this problem "fiddling" also?

14. dave.ads

dave.ads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for nearly 3 weeks and have had no corrupt recordings at all and I've used to to timeshift almost every program I've watched in that time.

The only glitch I have had is that it seems to be a little worse than my pace DTVA as far as signal strength goes. When I was watching and recording a film last week, the signal seemed to be going very low for a few seconds and I lost all picture and sound. While it was doing this the red light was still on but the recording missed out the gap so on playback it looked like the film was jumping. This only happened for the first few minutes of the film while I was trying to get a dodgy phone charger working, maybe I was causing interferance. All I am saying is check your signal strength.

15. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Also had one for three weeks and it has recorded everything OK. Only 'problem' is that I have had to take out the ariel signal booster I was using. Was getting 100% signal and for some reason this caused severe break up of Radio's 4 and especially 3. (which I listen to a lot).
    Took out the booster, signal dropped to about 85% and at this level everything seems fine.
    I am not using the VCR output by the way.

Regards Richard