1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pace twin .. Anyone else got this fault

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by nal, Dec 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. nal

nal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Apologies if this is a known fault but under a different guise.

Don't know if its happened since the sound mods been done or was always there since oct update, but I've noticed that if the box is in standby and kicks in to do a timed recording and I switch the tv on during it, I get sound but no picture. I have to switch the box out of standby to get the picture and then its ok to switch back to standby. Did the same tonight but this time unplugged the scart lead and the picture came back ... put it back in and its gone again and had to revert to the above.
    So why is there a signal on the scart, I thought if the box was in standby it would be using the rf loop thru'.

tia,

nal

2. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i got home today the pace was recording and when i turned the TV on i had a picture but no sound as soon as i went up a channel sound came back.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Yes, mine does exactly the same as pr1uk describes. Sound remains present if you then revert to the original one eg: On Channel 1 (silent), go to 2 (sound), then revert to 1 (sound).

4. cfczeek

cfczeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I don't think this is a bug, but a 'feature' if you use your Twin through an amp like many people do!
    If you set it to record in the middle of the night, the last thing you want is for the sound to kick in when the box switches on! (Assuming you don't switch the amp off either, which you wouldn't if its a decent amp)
    This is why the sound turns on when you switch channels...i.e you're actually there to watch it!

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Maybe it is; maytbe it isn't. I think it's a fault. After all, the issue is that the box is nominally in standby when it starts recording (so it should be silent). However, it is when you take it out of standby i.e., to start watching it, that the 'bug' occurs. The simple action of taking it out of standby should, to a well-written bit of software, be enough indication that you are there and want to hear it. But this isn't (yet) a well-written piece of software.

6. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a good point,
    i turn my amp off at night so was wondering why you say "which you wouldn't if its a decent amp" i have a decent amp so why would i leave it on all the time.

7. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 reasons I can see for not switching amps off:-

1. It can take an amp hours to reach its peak performance after switching on for cold. Even worse with new amps where it can take days from the initial switch on for the amps to "warm up"

2. As with any electrical device, the actual switching of power on & off to circuits actually shortens its lifespan. Same equates to light bulbs (although I wouldn't want the leccy bill ;) )