Pace Twin and Panasonic DVD Recorder connection question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Annie, May 30, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Annie

Annie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new Pace Twin and a Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD Recorder. Can someone tell me how I can get S-Video quality sent from the Pace to the DVD Recorder. I have tried setting the TV2 Output on the Pace to S-Video and the input on the DVD Recorder to S-Video but all I see is black and white. I can only watch it on composite and Video respectively and am not particularly happy with the picture. My Pace box still has the original software version as I am waiting for next week's update. Could this have something to do with it?

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi Annie

I too have a pace twin (fantastic piece of kit) and a panny E55 (update from your E50). I too have had problems (not B+W tho). As long as you've set the output as Scart S-video you should be fine. Are you sure your S-video cable is ok :confused:

3. Annie

Annie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Snick,

Thanks for the reply. What kind of problems did you have? Everything is set to S-Video and the scart cable is the same one as I have been using on my old ITV Digital box (also Pace) with no problems. Am I missing the obvious somewhere?

Also, I am finding that the picture, even when watching RGB on the telly isn't as sharp as my old box, although I have just changed TV's to a Panasonic TX-32PS1. Will the software upgrade help with this or is it something I need to get used to.

4. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Annie, both problems were corrected on the very first software update download last year - quite why Pace continue to ship units with the original firmware I don't know. The picture issue was somewhat contentious, some thought is was soft, some didn't, majority thought it was though, even after the update some felt it was still soft. I suggest waiting for the update next week, which will include all previous updates, and see what you think. Definitely connect it via RGB, I tried to make do with composite (only one RGB Scart) but tried it again recently on RGB and ended up buying an RGB scart switcher since the quality is so much better.

If you have a day free and don't mind possibly getting a little disheartened about all the problems with the Twin, this link gives a pretty good history (*very* long) http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=56428&page=1&pp=25

5. Annie

Annie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Simon,

It's a comfort to know that some of these problems have been sorted out. I will look out to see if the soft picture problem disappears with the update.

I've also been having the sound drop out on recordings, not to return - and Escape from Alcatraz froze about 30 minutes into the recording and never came back, even though my DVD recorder recorded it fine. I presume these issues have been rectified since the original firmware.

Simon, are you connecting the TV2/VCR scart using RGB or did I misunderstand you? My box doesn't seem to offer the option of RGB out on the TV2/VCR scart. I have the TV2/VCR scart going directly into my DVD recorder which seems to offer the possibility of receiving an RGB signal in. The TV1 scart is attached to a switch box (because I have other equipment - surround sound DVD player/amp and a video) which in turn is attached to the RGB scart in my TV. The DVD Recorder goes into the S-Video scart socket on the TV (no more scarts on TV). Is this the best set up or is there another way.

Thanks for your help.

Annie :thumbsup:

6. simonb68

simonb68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Annie, sorry for the confusion, I meant connect the Pace to TV via RGB if you can, I find this sharpens the image, since you were a little unhappy about the PQ.

Unfortunately there are many people still experiencing a variety of extremely frustrating problems on the Pace, even with the latest update. Lost recordings, recordings dying part way through, sound and picture dropout on recordings and live TV, 'pauses' in recordings and live TV, hangs, disk resets and probably more. If the next update doesn't fix at least the majority of these I think Pace may have a large number of disgruntled customers looking for a refund. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

As regards connectivity, the aim I would think is to connect as much as you can with the highest quality connection they offer, not always easy I know, usually there's a compromise somewhere. Scart switch boxes can help, but I would advice picking carefully, I had a Quinttro that played havoc with my aspect ratios so I now have a two port JS Tech switch box. It means I don't get RGB from my X-Box, but I can always change connectors if necessary.

Simon