1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PACE TWIN-0s recordings-HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by CD3660, Aug 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since downloading the latest software update (at the beginning of July) I have had nothing but trouble from my Pace Twin which is only a couple of months old. It worked faultlessly before but now cannot be relied upon at all. It refuses to record 9 times out of 10, freezes the moment tmer record starts, and generally misbehaves. Does anyone have any solutions or suggestions, other than returning it under warranty? Maybe I should have been more patient and waited for the new panasonic pvr that I originally wanted.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    Although I haven't had the same difficulty with mine (yet?) I have read elsewhere that leaving the thing "on" (rather than in standby) works round this problem.

3. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nigel but it makes no difference!

4. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    This is a real shame and it seems countless users are having big problems while others report steady performance. I really would like to buy a Twin but would hate to end up in the former camp. As it is, I have gone for the Humax8000 for £122 which is a bargain. Only 1 tuner but a) it seems to work reliably and b) Humax seem very responsive to customer contact, particularly where bugs are concerned.

I want a twin tuner model really but will wait for the Panasonic and Humax 9000 and whatever else comes out in the next 6-8 months and see how early buyers get on with them.

Don't forget also that Pace are looking to pull out of the Freeview market which doesn't bode well for future software support.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Steve, where did you get that gem? Digital spy? Since they've just lost the NTL deal too, do we assume they are planning on slashing their corporate wrists too? Just sky+ left for them. Mine is still reasonably hassle free, but not as good as on October software. They are talking about another software download soon on the pace site.

6. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    mine is doing the same thing it was fine before the last software update and now Iam getting loads of 0.s recordings.

Dave.

PS I leave it on all the time and it makes no differance.

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm sure I read an official news item on AFX from Pace saying they were pulling out of freeview. Maybe I'm mistaken but I do recall a bit of hooha in the city a while back although I wasn't involved trading wise.

Still far too many horror storied to consider buying one although I belive an update is coming in August. I hope it's better than the last for the sake of all you Twin owners. I'm not anti-twin at all and was on the verge of getting one but there are just too many doubts now I have read around a bit.

The Humax seems universally popular apart from a few bugs which the makers actively acknowledge and are hoping to solve shortly.

8. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with the Pace is that it has a mind of its own. Having been in from the start, I have steadily enjoyed better reliability as the new software was released, which lets face it was not difficult. I am a believer that the lastest was the best and most reliable by far.

From the day after the upgrade, I didn't have a crash for a month. Then all of a sudden, I had a couple of weeks of a machine with the devil inside, it wasn't even during a period of hot weather and nothing had changed. And then suddenly, as quickly as the devil had appeared, everything was right again.

Having seen how my machine responded with the duff data being transmitted on the SDN Mux (See this DigitalSpy thread), it appears that the Twin is very susceptable to out of range data being received. GIGO as we use to say. If you were expecting scheduled recordings to occur when the set was being affected by this, it is not surprising that recordings were missed, continued indefinately or were 0 length. The clue to my problem was being told by the twin that there was unsufficient disc space to hold my recording and it would be truncated by 75,000 hours!

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Good explanation, I hadn't noticed myself, and mine has only missed 1 recording, but it must confuse the poor little thing.

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Here is the fix

Put a dummy 1 minute recording to the vcr scart before every HD recording.

Works for me!

Pace informed as well

11. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems to work :smashin: - but to have to do this before every recording is going to be a pain in the butt me thinks :suicide: !

12. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to admit the Pace twin is pants, i recorded part 1 of Walking The Dead then yesterday when i looked it was still recording at 0030. Did i set it up to record something and had forgot err no i know it was (should have) recorded part 2 of Walking The Dead. Looking closer it was stuck with the record light on and well the only thing i could do was unplug it, once back on i checked Walking The Dead Part 2 was on the list with 0 recorded..............
    so i missed another recording and as you can tell this is not the first time it as not recorded. I have tried leaving it on instead of putting it in standby i have tried reset a few times even losing all my recordings and starting all over again and it still screws up now and again, and its always something you really wanted.
    I think Pace should recall the lot and place them all in a bin refund our money so we can buy something realiable.

Peter
    (a pixxed off user)
    I see why they are getting cheaper and cheaper its because they are so unrealiable

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Just to put the other side of the story, I recorded the very same program, out at the gym when it started. Got in at 2120, started watching, all was well. It's still on the disc now, shame I can't email it to you!

14. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Its not the first time this as happened it as happened so many times now i never watch any program if i know i have to record the end until i am sure i have the end. Does this make sense i.e if a program is in 3 parts i record (hopefully) all parts and check the ending before i watch the program.

No i still say total recall bin them and refund, nice produce Very good picture Very good sound just so unrealiable

Peter

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You have the worst twin I know of. I'm sorry your experiences are so bad. I have about 75 of them out there, without a single complaint. Something to do with all being on October software, methinks. I have told my customers that they void their warranty with me if they upgrade without my permission!

16. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way of reverting back to the October software? I had no significant problems with that.

17. rarrar

rarrar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Pace moaning about the bad effects of the last upgrade , they offered to install the previous software if I returned the unit to them.

Must say that leaving the machine on has improved things.

Robert

18. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I didn't upgrade and stayed on October s/w and have to say our Twin has been fine - odd freeze when playing back aside - and it's one of the early ones...

...so get back to the October s/w if you can imho.

19. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Any news on dates for the August update ?

20. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. CD3660

CD3660
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: I Finally got so brassed off with my non-recording unit that I took it back (under warranty) to the retailer and exchanged it for another brand new Pace Twin which, thankfully, had the October software. Works perfectly, so I for one will treat software upgrades with very great caution in the future.

22. Garion

Garion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mine has been very unreliable since the last update. I even have been enquiring as to whether there is an alternative out there. If it's software, roll on the next update....nothing on Pace seb site yet though.