Pace Sky+ signal quality on different channels

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JonStatt, Jan 17, 2005.

1. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I have been doing some experiments on the different signal quality readings I get on a Pace Sky+ box.

So far I have not experienced any picture disturbances. I am assuming that with digital Sky, that you cannot get picture degradation with lower signal, but that you will get frame freezes and strange coloured blobs/pixels. i.e it will be obvious

If I am not recording anything, then it does not matter which channel I am on, I get a 60% quality reading on input 1, and a fluctuating 50/60% quality reading on input 2. This lowered today to 50% on both with the thick cloud and rain showers in London.

If I try and record BBC1 or ITV3, then check the signal level, I see that one of the inputs, both quality AND strength jump up, and I see 90% quality.

If I try and record Living TV+1, then check the signal level, I see one of the inputs at about the same level as without recording (60%)

If I try and record The Wrestling channel, then check the signal level, I see that on one of the inputs, both quality AND strength drop down significantly, and I see 35-40% quality.

Once again I have not seen yet, picture issues on any channel. It seems my dish is not optimally set, and I know that as the dish is picking up different satellites you cannot optimise on all of them.

So does anyone know what satellite, and signal, the level meters are reading by default when not recording anything?

Jonathan

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I don't know off and the specs for the default transponder (used for EPG and OS updating) but as you have figured out the signal qualities vary depending upon which satellite/transponder the tuners are receiving at the time you make the reading.

Due to the different orbital position of Eurobird 1 compared to the three Astra2 satellites it is very difficult (impossible?) to get perfect readings using a Zone 1 minidish. However given that so far the resulting picture is free from breakup even in bad weather I would consider leaving the dish and LNB setup well alone:)